Making 1 Gallon Experiments- how to divide and save yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
So there's a recipe I want to play with and was going to do some 1 gallon batches. 1 gallon is not enough to stick a vial of WLP029 in and it would be pretty pricey to buy a vial for every 1 gallon experiment. What's the best way of dividing up the vial to be used on several 1 gallon batches over the next 3-4 months?

The issue with splitting one vial is that the overall health of the live yeast is going to deteriorate over time. I recommend making a small starter and splitting from there.

that's kinda what I was thinking. maybe make a 1 liter starter and divide up. I guess the real question is how to properly store for 3-4 months. I know it should be good for a month or so.

Maybe then just wash the yeast post-fermentation or even repitch on the yeast cake. I do 1 gallon, and big beers usually require the entire vial. Even when you get above 1.060, if the yeast is a month or two old, you will need the whole thing.

Even a two week old vial going into a 1.080 wort will take more than half the vial. If you brew often or know you will use the yeast, starter and split is the way to go

that's kinda what I was thinking. maybe make a 1 liter starter and divide up. I guess the real question is how to properly store for 3-4 months. I know it should be good for a month or so.

I use mason jars. When transferring the starter mixture/beer to them just minimize splashing/oxygen exposure, seal it and then toss it in the fridge. Sanatize first of course!

Back