Makgeolli - Korean rice wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Watched one too many Korean dramas and seen them drinking this from bowls. So bought a bag of Nuruk and bread yeast and brewed up a batch.
36206.jpeg

Next time I will use only half a packet of yeast and let more of the nuruk funk come through. Instead of an airlock use a cotton towel with a bowl on top. More like the way it is done and see if alcohol bite is as strong.

Nuruk is this wheat grain cake they make that has yeasts, molds and enzymes. Cracker like you crush 100grams worth for a one gallon batch. The nuruk provides I believe amylase which converts the rice starch to sugars. I used bread yeast to reduce the funk that the nuruk would provide.

so the equivalent to koji in a Japanese saki. cool. I learn something new on this site everyday. Where can one find this?

Yes it is to look milky due to the rice solids which is to style. It is only filtered through a fine screen colender and biab material. The rice helps to buffer the alcohol which would be pretty harsh.

Back