Makeshift Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerHound

Reaction score
Thanks to some bitter cold weather, I plan to get some ice fishing in this weekend. I was thinking about bringing some homebrew with me, but I don't want to have to deal with the bottles. I don't have a glass growler, so I was thinking about pouring a few bottles into a cleaned out half gallon milk jug. Has anyone tried this before or have better alternatives for a makeshift growler?

Thanks to some bitter cold weather, I plan to get some ice fishing in this weekend. I was thinking about bringing some homebrew with me, but I don't want to have to deal with the bottles. I don't have a glass growler, so I was thinking about pouring a few bottles into a cleaned out half gallon milk jug. Has anyone tried this before or have better alternatives for a makeshift growler?

There's a couple microbreweries that I have heard of that either used to or still do sell their beer in milk jugs. Obviously they won't last as long in them, a couple 3 days maybe, but they will work.

Heck when I was a kid, that was the ONLY way you could get A&W Root Beer. Right from the drive thru in milk jugs. And they lasted a day or two.

Also 2 liter soda bottles will work too.

I wouldn't think a resealed milk just would seal much pressure. I'd opt for the two liter if available, and pour slowly as to not cause much foaming. try freezing the jugs first as well.

I use the 4L glass bottles of cheap wine. The screw top closes tightly, and lasts for many uses.

You can make the chabli mostly palatable by using it for sangria.

Evidently "back in the day" you could get beer in milk jugs from Yuengling's.

When I lived in PA (****ed up liquor laws), there was a bar where you could take an empty gallon milk jug and they'd fill it with Yuenglings for $2. Man, I kind of miss that.

And here
The much less classy version is seen here - there's a drive through beer barn that will pull you a gallon milk jug of draft Pabst, Natty, or Bud and seal it so you can carry it in the car.

Someone else was even reminiscing about getting fresh Bud from the brewery in St louis in milk jugs....

Thanks for the tips guys. I only plan on being out on the ice from early morning until midafternoon, so I think this should work. I will see if I have any soda bottles laying around.

So you spent all of that time bottling up the beer and now you are going to dump them out into a another container? Is it really all that difficult to truck a 6 pack out there with you? Just saying....

So you spent all of that time bottling up the beer and now you are going to dump them out into a another container? Is it really all that difficult to truck a 6 pack out there with you? Just saying....

I think he's meaning he's not wanting to transfer his beer from kegs to bottles...at least that's what I hope he means.

I toured a brewery and watched them bottle. The tour guide said that the beer was already carbonated and was put into the bottles very cold to keep it from foaming and losing the carbonation. You might want to really chill (don't freeze them though) your bottles before transferring to the 2 liter pop bottles which can take pressure. JMHO

Back