Makena Cloud Hazy IPA - Help with recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerwildered

Finding my way to beer heaven
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m headed home from a lovely vacation (I escaped the polar vortex with a presciently planned trip to Maui). While on the island I’ve been drinking some really great stuff from Maui Brewing Company - especially their newish NEIPA called Makena Cloud.

As I await my return to reality, I’m hoping that you all might help me research and build a clone recipe for this tasty brew.

Here’s what I know:

Makena Cloud Hazy IPA
6.6% ABV
50 IBU (according to the brewers notes online)
brewed with Amarillo, El Dorado and Citra Hops

Thoughts on a recipe?

This post caught my eye because I got married at Makena cove on Maui.

There's a lot of posts already on NEIPA recipe formulation. I think without actually tasting the beer it would be tough to parse out a grain bill. But with regard to hops, it's usually a bittering charge for 60 minutes followed by heavy late-hop additions, mostly during whirlpools when the wort drops below the 170-180F range.

If you still are on the island, I'd highly suggest checking out Kohola brewery up near Lahaina. They have really great stuff.
https://www.koholabrewery.com/

Hey, thanks for the love!! Glad you enjoyed the beer and I'm absolutely willing to share a few tips on how to replicate the recipe at home. Without giving too much away, use wheat, oats and pils or 2row for the remainder of the grain bill. Wheat to oats usage, 2:1. Small 5 min hop addition, large whirlpool addition, and a two stage dry hop. One hopping during active fermentation and the second is a traditional dry hop post fermentation. Make sure your water chemistry is on point, very important for this style. You just missed the can release, but glad you enjoyed on draught!!!

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20190131_151341.jpg
    IMG_20190131_151341.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
Back