Make sure you don't skip that diacetyl rest!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=521615

The flavoring chemical diacetyl - used in many manufactured foods - has been tied to three deaths and serious illness in at least 200 people, yet it remains unregulated by the government and under the radar of doctors

Diacetyl attacks, inflames and virtually obliterates the bronchioles, the lung's tiniest airways. As the body tries to heal, scar tissue builds up and restricts the airways. The damage is irreversible, though it sometimes can be moderately controlled with medications. Rats exposed to diacetyl at levels similar to those in factories suffered major lung injuries, according to 2001 reports by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Half died within six hours.

the_bird said:
Drink the bleach, but out of an aluminum mug, THEN pee in the wort. That'll take care of it.

then I've been getting it wrong. I drink the bleach, pee into an aluminum mug then pour it in the wort. I knew I was doing something wrong.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
then I've been getting it wrong. I drink the bleach, pee into an aluminum mug then pour it in the wort. I knew I was doing something wrong.

And don't forget to recirculate...

Rats exposed to diacetyl at levels similar to those in factories suffered major lung injuries, according to 2001 reports by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Half died within six hours.

Good thing that those factorys dont employ rats . . . and if it kills the rats atleast ya know the rats arent ****ting in your food . . .

In all seriousness I so hate the Milwaukee Journel I make do nothing but create diacetyl just to piss them off . . .

CRAP!

Ok, ok. I have been Drinking pee out of a urinal, then downing some bleach that way i can stop drop and roll to mix it up...........THEN I pee it back into an aluminum cup and then pour into the wort. Do you think that will work?

Should i be worried about sanitation in any of my steps since i have to boil the wort after all of that?

You all have it wrong! You have to use a spoon made out of Depleted Uranium to stir the pot during the boil. That will counter out anything.....even Fusel Alcohols.:mug:

I just drink a 12 pack of Rolling Rock and then take a **** into a glass and serve that to my friends.

BrewmanBeing said:
I just drink a 12 pack of Rolling Rock and then take a **** into a glass and serve that to my friends.

If anything that might improve the taste.

I can't beleive I just said that.........

OK, this maybe kinda a newbie question, so please be patient and indulge me here: what if you used the aluminum foil to make a little pouch with the rat turds in it for a first wort deal? Then if you insist on the bleach, well, you can always use that to prime your bottles with... that should work, right?

Also a newbie question:

When I drink the bleach and pee into the wort, do I need to make a starter with the rat turds, or can I just sprinkle them in?

jpsloan said:
Also a newbie question:

When I drink the bleach and pee into the wort, do I need to make a starter with the rat turds, or can I just sprinkle them in?

You have to involve aluminum somewhere. Try chewing some reynolds wrap on your back molars, that usually works.

What people are forgetting is the importance of fermenting at a high temperature, say, 90 - 100F (PARTICULARLY when using a lager yeast). Plus, there's great benefit to making sure you introduce plenty of oxygen both to your mash and to the hot wort. Remember, hot side aeration is your friend.

Don't forget to bottle in clear twist-tops, as well!

the_bird said:
What people are forgetting is the importance of fermenting at a high temperature, say, 90 - 100F (PARTICULARLY when using a lager yeast). Plus, there's great benefit to making sure you introduce plenty of oxygen both to your mash and to the hot wort. Remember, hot side aeration is your friend.

Don't forget to bottle in clear twist-tops, as well!

Put Pete Coors in a dirty snowbank and that's a commercial.

One missing ingredient is gypsum to treat the brew water.

I'm really cheap so I don't buy that powdered stuff at the LHBS. I get my girlfriend to sneak into the local high school and scrape the chalk off the blackboards using her long fingernails. Makes quite a screeching noise.

She then drops the powder onto the aluminum foil, which I put in my mouth as described above.

Sorry for the oversight.

Mikey said:
One missing ingredient is gypsum to treat the brew water.

I'm really cheap so I don't buy that powdered stuff at the LHBS. I get my girlfriend to sneak into the local high school and scrape the chalk off the blackboards using her long fingernails. Makes quite a screeching noise.

She then drops the powder onto the aluminum foil, which I put in my mouth as described above.

Sorry for the oversight.

Try explaining that to the arresting officer.
"It's chalk, I sweak!! For brewing!!".
Book him danno.

Latest posts

Back