Major Dry Yeast Brands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
I'm a dry yeast brewer...I'm also a new brewer which means I've done liquid and dry and am determining the dry route is the way I want to go.

For the most part US-05 is what I've started with. I would like to try other yeasts to see what I like best...for example US-05 creates a huge krausen in 2 different brews that never dropped completely (4 weeks)...whereas some kit brews I have done was clear on top at the end of fermenting.

I'm looking to know what are the other popular dry yeasts for Ales/IPAs?

Each of these three brands of dry yeast will have information on strains of yeast they recommend for Ales/IPAs.
I'll offer two yeasts to compare to US-05: Nottingham (better flocculation), S-04 (interesting esters).

Great thank you - I saw mangrovejacks but wasn't sure about then as I mostly only see Fermentis referenced....

Dry is fine, and has the advantage of “longer shelf life”, and smaller investment, though there doesn’t seem to be the extensive variety that liquid yeast companies make available. Certainly there is enough variety in dry to brew the styles of beer and cider you enjoy, and that is how a yeast should be selected. Is it appropriate for the style, and will it bring out the best qualities of the beer?

I've used Saflager 34/70 for my last two lagers and they've turned out great. WB-06 also worked great for wheat beers.

Mangrove Jack’s M42 “New World Strong Ale” has become my favorite workhorse. Ferment in low to mid 60s F and it’s clean, attenuates well, and drops clear when done. Will give some fruitiness at higher temps. I really love it for dry Porter and Stout, the malt flavors come through very nicely. Never had a stall.

It’s a fast fermenter and cleans up with 2 to 4 weeks of conditioning.

And for something really different... dried Kveik yeasts are a whole new frontier. Not widely available but once you get some, you are set for a looong time.

Back