Maibock gravity only dropped .01 in a week....Worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSager89

Reaction score
I have a Maibock (OG 1.070) that I started a week ago fermenting at 50F. In that week, it has only dropped to 1.060. I'm trying to decide if I should worry or not. I don't want to be impatient, as I know lagers require it but the amount of progress is seems pretty small. Also, I have a paranoia about under pitching and getting a sour beer (it happened on my Oktoberfest).

I did use a 2-stage starter (1 Gallon each stage at OG 1.037) and cold pitched the starter at 40F into the wort @ 50F. My main point of worry is if I decanted too much of the starter and poured enough yeast to under-pitch to the point of getting a sour beer/stuck fermentation. Or if I thermally shocked the yeast.

Any Opinions?

PS. Yeast can handle a 10°F change without thermal shock. At least that's the theory. My Maibock took forever. But, finally got there.

Just double checking- but you used a hydrometer and not a refractometer to check the SG?

If so, I'd be just a little concerned as usually my properly pitched lagers are done in less than ten days. Is the current fermentation temperature 50 degrees?

Thanks for the Reply! Last time I did the Maibock I was a lot less scientific about stuff....it turned out AMAZING but I have no data at all to compare it to.

Lesson learned lol

Just double checking- but you used a hydrometer and not a refractometer to check the SG?

If so, I'd be just a little concerned as usually my properly pitched lagers are done in less than ten days. Is the current fermentation temperature 50 degrees?

Yes and Yes.................and I agree that's what causes my worry. None of my previous lagers have taken this long.

Back