Magic Hat #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightwingnut

Reaction score
What's up with this beer? It's got somethin' in it I'm not familiar with. It's pretty good, but I'm wondering what it is exactly?

According to my clone brew book, it has a hint of apricot in it. The recipe says to use 3oz of apricot beer flavoring in the secondary. That's about the only thing about the recipe that seems to stand out....you think that's it?

Sam

Sam75 said:
According to my clone brew book, it has a hint of apricot in it. The recipe says to use 3oz of apricot beer flavoring in the secondary. That's about the only thing about the recipe that seems to stand out....you think that's it?

Sam

I made a clone of this as my 3rd batch and first non-kit brew. Here's what I used, and I think in nailed it 100%......be aware, that you need to let the apricot flavor settle out for a week or 2 after bottling to really get a good taste out of it:

6 lbs. Extra Light Dry Extract
.5 lbs. Caramel/Crystal Malt (60L pref.)
2 Oz. Amarillo (8.3%)
1 Tsp. Irish Moss
4 Oz. Apricot Extract
1 Pkg. Dry Ale #04 (Safale)

1. Steep grain for 30 - 45 mins.
2. Add Dry Extract and 1 oz. of hops to boil
3. Boil for 30 minutes
4. Add 1 oz. hops
5. Boil for 15 minutes
6. Add Irish Moss
7. Boil for another 15 minutes
8. Add Apricot Extract at bottling