Made my first ever yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJDore

Reaction score
...and I keep having to remind myself to RDWHAHB. Last night I boiiled two pints of water, added 3/4 cup of DME, chilled to 60, mixed in WLP029 in a sanitized growler. Covered with Saran wrap and shook the crap out of it. Removed wrap, covered loosely with aluminum foil, left in my ferm cabinet.

Sound right? Ready to go by tomorrow you think?

Ready to go by tomorrow! The absolute best time to pitch is when you see the nice foamy layer of krausen (spelling?) in the starter just like you would in the fermenter.

Ready to go by tomorrow! The absolute best time to pitch is when you see the nice foamy layer of krausen (spelling?) in the starter just like you would in the fermenter.

yup! that's my process to the tee, and i usually get kreusen in less than 24 hrs

swirl it around every so often when you walk by :mug:

Either decant the liquid on top of the yeast and pitch only the bottom (good) layer of yeast or just shake it up and pitch the whole thing.

Personal preference, really. But yes, you want all of that yeast on the bottom. That's the good stuff.

Back