Made champagne... on accident?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowninja

Reaction score
Hey all. Had a bottle of strawberry wine (from concentrate) aging in the wine rack. Well, I noticed it was seeping some from the cork, so i went ahead and threw it in the chiller to start drinking on it. Popped the cork this evening, and voila! Carbonated strawberry wine?

I took a few small drinks, tastes great. Has a bubbly feel like champagne, still bubbling in the glass as I type.

Should i keep drinking this? Or am I going to regret it?

Hey all. Had a bottle of strawberry wine (from concentrate) aging in the wine rack. Well, I noticed it was seeping some from the cork, so i went ahead and threw it in the chiller to start drinking on it. Popped the cork this evening, and voila! Carbonated strawberry wine?

I took a few small drinks, tastes great. Has a bubbly feel like champagne, still bubbling in the glass as I type.

Should i keep drinking this? Or am I going to regret it?

sure, keep drinking it!

And then run down and check any other bottles, as the cork may pop out of those.

Not going to hurt me eh?

I checked all the other corks, all nice and tight (and dry).

I think i may have backsweetened this wine without stabilizing first. I dont remember, and since i've moved since I corked it, I dont know where my notes are.

Everyone one of us who has done any serious of wine making has made a batch of bubbly on accident! Heck I made some Blackberry that I did not get degassed enough, but people loved it. Sit back and enjoy it. Stay thirsty my friends.

Everyone one of us who has done any serious of wine making has made a batch of bubbly on accident! Heck I made some Blackberry that I did not get degassed enough, but people loved it. Sit back and enjoy it. Stay thirsty my friends.

Oh yeah and made a mess as well.

Put those in a Rubbermaid bin and keep an eye on them. Normal corks can hold a little pressure but not a lot. If they start to push out pile them in the fridge.

Back