Made a little mistake.....Have an idea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeirvine

Reaction score
So I brewed up Dangerbrew's "Drunken Lullaby" Irish Red and I made a little mistake. I'm relatively new and this was my first partial mash. I followed the recipe to a t, even the protein rests.

The recipe is something like this, I don't feel like looking back, but you'll get the jist:
6lbs pale liquid extract
.5lbs vienna malt
.1lbs roasted barley
.25lbs flaked barley
1lb caramel 60l
1lb torrified wheat

I think I left a few about but oh well
1oz fuggles (60min)
1sp irish moss(15 min)
1oz E.K. Goldings (5min)
1lb brown sugar (5min)

Well my 5min boil wasn't enough to disolve the brown sugar and me being new I didn't realize this until I racked to primary. Now I have a nice cake of brown sugar at the bottom of my fermenter.... Yes my OG was low and I was already suggested to just be careful to avoid the sugar when bottling... but I was thinking.... Could I just rack to secondary in a few days... 5-7... boil up maybe something like half of called for brown sugar, make sure it dissolves well, and add it too secondary??? Possibly repitch if needed?

Just a thought.. Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than myself can help out.

Thanks.

Sure thing. Late sugar additions are common enough. Make sure you count the water you are adding (in addition to the sugar) when recalculating your gravity.

Awesome thanks for the input. Do you think I will need to repitch or should I just see if fermentation continues after and judge it off of that?

I do late sugar additions when I'm making hard cider all the time, either with brown sugar, honey or more apply juice concentrate. Should be just fine.

theres no need to rack just to add the brown sugar solution, I'd just add it directly to the primary.

since this is your first PM, are you sure it was the brown sugar at the bottom not break material?

Back