MacGyver blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was doing a hefty Green Flash IPA clone for my 2nd all grain batch and ended up with 1.08 OG and two vials of WLP001 with between 5.5 and 6.0 gallons total volume. We decided to use the glass carboy and of course about 18 hours after the pitch I caught it starting to flood the air lock.

I don't have a blowoff tube but I used my siphon tube fully wedged with foil wrap going into my 5 gallon bucket with plenty of clean water with iodine and a dash of vodka :cross:. There's no spill off the top and it appears to be air tight since all the CO2 is shooting through the tube and burping up in the pot.

See pic...ignore the cleaner bottles that are sealed that are just used as weights to keep the siphon tube underwater.

Does this thing look ok for next 48 hours or so of aggressive primary before it chills out and I can put an airlock back on? Any danger? Will we butcher the flavor with less headroom since we're closer to 6 gallons in 6.5 gallon carboy?

Just playing it safe and looking for two cents...

photo.jpg

As long as everything was sanitized and you have a tight seal you should be fine. I don't believe headpiece should be an issue...I've never had a problem with that...

Back