M*ther F*cker!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... you guys re busily trying to solve my problem, aren't you. I already have my own solution in mind.

I'm just going to put some teeeeny machine screws through the false bottom to give it some little legs that will hold it up off the nipple a small amount. Then, I'll actually USE that mash pad that came with the system to prevent any grain from getting anywhere near the false bottom.

That should take care of the problem cheaply and quickly. It'll be a $0.30 fix.

Kai... I am afraid to drill holes in the nipple, because I don't think that it is solid plastic. If I make a hole in in, I am afraid I will be making a hole that will allow liquid to seep in between the walls of the cooler and would serisouly destroy it.

And Dude... no I have not tried the other cooler as a mash tun. I gave that one to Boston, and he uses it for his mash tun (with a braided hose.)

-walker

Walker-san said:
Wow... you guys re busily trying to solve my problem, aren't you. I already have my own solution in mind.

So you were just venting.
Because we are guys, we were trying to solve your problem.

How many times have I fallen into this SWMBO trap?

That sounds like it'll work; you hadn't indicated that you already had a solution in mind ;)

EDIT: Olllllllllllllllllllllllllo's right, too - that's what guys do, solve problems. It's how we let people know we care ;)

the_bird said:
That sounds like it'll work; you hadn't indicated that you already had a solution in mind ;)
I also did not indicate that I needed help solving it. ;)

I was just venting.

Schlenkerla said:
So by now your completely ventilated. :D

NOW, I am.... This should do the trick. I'll be trying it out next weekend.

1917-falsebottom_fix1.jpg

1917-falsebottom_fix2.jpg

Schlenkerla said:
I hope you are wrong about the astringency.

You and me both.

I didn't mean to poo-poo anybody's proposed solution to this problem with my earlier reply. There were a lot of good ideas presented.

But, like most of you guys, I'm inclined to try and do it my own way. I like solving problems. That doesn't mean I like to HAVE problems, but...

-walker

the_bird said:
Looks good, Walk. Can't see how that won't work perfectly well. Did you even have to drill out the holes at all?

Yes... I had to make them 1/64th of an inch bigger. :rolleyes:

After reading all of the posts in this thread I feel much better about my brew weekend. Two days, 10 gallons bottled and ten gallons in the primary, and Im still alive. Good luck with the astringency Walker and enjoy next weekend!

I never finished bitching about the rest of the day, but I don't think anyone wants to hear more bellyaching from me. The other things were more minor in retrospect, but when combined with the huge PITA I had with the tun it was like rubbing salt into a wound.

I'm hoping everything runs like a well oiled machine next weekend.

-walker

My business partner will vent about something and I'll try to come up with a solution. And then she'll point out she was just venting.

Hey Walker,
I have the same system. I had never had a stuck mash in ten years of all grain brewing and I've had three or four of them in a row with this system. I feel your pain. My false bottom is not entirely even so I am getting grain underneath which is clogging the system. I may also have your same issue as sometimes the liquid will just not flow. I have debated switching to a bazooka T and sh*t-canning the false bottom. I also read on another site that if you line the edge of the false bottom with some split open siphon tubing it will prop up the bottom a few millimeters and create a seal so grain can't get underneath. I am giving that a go next time. Ungodly frustrating though...

Latest posts

Back