Lutra Kveik and Dark Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix1854

Reaction score
After initial great results with Omega dry Lutra Kveik on a New Zealand Pilsner, I figured I’d try it with a Baltic porter. This beer had an OG of 1.077, but only attenuated to roughly 1.029. The recipe was as follows:

50% Munich
40% Pilsner
7.5% Briess Extra Special
1% De-bittered black malt
0.8% Crisp Chocolate

3 oz Lactose
Mashed at 154
Pitched and Fermented at 69 F

Expected FG: 1.018-1.020

Has anyone had any issues with attenuation when brewing darker beers with Lutra? I have heard some anecdotal evidence regarding attenuation issues with stouts and porters, but with it being a fairly new strain, though I’d ask.

The beer tastes really good and I’m moving forward with kegging, but likely will not use Lutra with any dark beers moving forward.

Last edited:
I had an Irish stout fermented with liquid Lutra and it was totally fine

The beer tastes really good and I’m moving forward with kegging, but likely will not use Lutra with any dark beers moving forward.
You probably pitched and fermented too cold, and your Lutra stalled out. Kveik is much happier at ~90°F, and needs plenty of nutrients too (especially in higher gravity wort). Had you roused and upped the temperate, it may well have restarted fermentation.

Thanks all for the info. I suspect you are right, it just stalled because of the low temp.

I have found that despite the low, 68F rating for Lutra by Omega, it stalls out or slows down tremendously at anything below ~78F. Seems to be happiest in the high 80s, low 90s.

Back