Lutra Keivic light lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris38piatt

Reaction score
Ok team I got this recipe from a friend but it didn't turn out as planned. I was shooting for a american light lager quickly.
10# Bries pilsner mash at 150degrees for 45 minutes
1 ounce halletreu miltrifu 30 minute addition
Lutra keivic yeast

It turned out kind of lemony taste and color?
I'm 100% sure it's not Infected. It's super clean but hint of lemon and super dry.
Any and all input is welcomed.

Try the same recipe with a real lager yeast, fermented cold. I suspect the "lemony" taste won't repeat. Lutra may be the "cleanest" of the Kveik strains, but it's still a Kveik strain.

I am on my second try of a light lager with lutra kveik. First time I mashed too high - averaging around 152 or so (should have thrown in a few ice cubes). FG only to about 1.012. Last weekend I kept mash at 145. Checked SG after 5 days and was disappointed to see 1.010. Giving it another week to hopefully get down to 1.070. Grain bill 7.5 lb 2-row, 2 lb flaked rice, 0.5lb crystal 15. Next time will reduce grain bill and maybe add a small amount of gluco amylase enzyme in fermenter (I realize it works best at mash temps). Too strong a malt flavor for a light lager.

Back