LupoMax Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
Anyone else try these yet? I ordered half a pound each of Mosaic and Sabro from Yakima Valley Hops and am planning on brewing an IPA with them this weekend. I listened to the interview on the Brulosophy podcast last week and they sound pretty awesome.

I too am intrigued, I just placed an order at YVH but didn't get the Lupomax (bit pricey at the moment). Subbed.

It seems a little gimmicky to me, so I’m interested in people’s experience. I saw the Brülosophy podcast but haven’t listened to it.

I ordered Citra and Mosaic but don't plan to use them just yet. I have some recipes I want to get done first that friends have asked for but I hope to get to them in a few weeks.
The little I've read and heard on podcasts so far, it seems promising.

I just brewed a rye IPA yesterday with the Mosaic and Sabro along with some regular T 90 pellets of Citra and Jade. I did extensive whirlpool hopping and will dry hop as well. Pitched the yeast this morning and it already has a great aroma, planning on throwing the dry hops in at the tail end of fermentation. The aroma upon opening the LupoMax bags was more intense than regular pellets so first impressions are good so far.

I’m racking from brite to kegs tho weekend on a batch using 12oz Citra lupomax in the DH. This is in a 1 bbl batch. I’ll update after sampling.

How do you scale the lupomax hops? I'm really interested in them but am unsure if 1oz Lupo is equal to 1oz t90. I can't imagine it is and don't know the conversion...Hopefully they come out with a Lupo version of Nelson!

How do you scale the lupomax hops? I'm really interested in them but am unsure if 1oz Lupo is equal to 1oz t90. I can't imagine it is and don't know the conversion...Hopefully they come out with a Lupo version of Nelson!
It’s not a 1:1. I am assuming 40% “stronger” as my first trial. First sample out of the brite tank a few mins ago is leading me to think it’s maybe stronger. As soon as I get it on tap I’ll have a better sense

The YVH site says to use 70% of your normal rate when using LupoMax.

I hope to be getting time to brew with them in the next 2-3 weeks but hope to continue hearing good things about it here. Please post back with your critique when you can.

Yes. I did a 1bbl batch and used 10oz of citra lupomax in the dry hop. I’m very impressed this far. The recipe called for 1 lb of citra, so I used approximately 60% and it was spot on. Super aromatic.

So am I wrong to think it's best to use these LupoMax hops exclusively in whirlpool and dry hopping only or should I sneak in a tiny bit the last 5 minutes or so?
Haas' video says use it wherever you want but they seem to feel it's best after the heats off.

So here's my thoughts on using Citra and Moscaic LupoMax hops (with A37 POG) IT'S FREAKING DELICIOUS! I added both of these hops as a dry hop on day 3 then cold crashed a few days later and kegged on day 7. 2 days later, I couldn't wait and had some. I am very pleased with what I got. Aroma is tropical fruit and the flavor is that Citra/ Mosaic semi dank and fruity.
I did brew 11 gallons and my brother took half and he hit his with Imperial Flagship and for dry hops, Citra LupoMax and regular El Dorado. He's kegging his this weekend.
My only concern is that I've read that POG and other Kveik are so aggressive that they don't allow the aroma to stick around long. That sounds like BS but Hornindal has never given me much aroma once kegged so we'll see. I'm glad I bought 2 lbs of each hop.

Back