Lump Charcoal in a Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caps_phisto

Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, mods feel free to move it.

I was wondering if anyone had any data or experience adding lump charcoal to a batch of beer? Health concerns, flavoring amounts, etc?

The process would be to soak the charcoal in whiskey for about 4 weeks, while the beer ferments, then add the charcoal lumps to the beer during secondary.

I'd plan on using "lump" charcoal, like this kind here:

http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/hardwoodlump.html

Thoughts?

The base beer would be a Belgian Tripel.

Why would you put charcoal in a beer it seems that it would absorb some of the flavors into it. Don't really have any idea what it would do, but just wondering why???

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I really think you want to use heavy toast oak cubes, soaked in whiskey.

Seconded. DON'T put charcoal in your beer, or if you do, let us know how it tastes! Heavy-toast oak if anything, Med+ is surprisingly strong too.

to get smokey, woody flavor you want to used smoked grains and use oak cubes like stated above.

I think actual charcoal could result in some ashy and medicinal flavor.

to get smokey, woody flavor you want to used smoked grains and use oak cubes like stated above.

I think actual charcoal could result in some ashy and medicinal flavor.

I second this, I still am confused about the charcoal and reasoning for putting it in your beer, would be better suited for cooking IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the replies. I've done the toasted oak cubes. Just curious about charcoal instead. Figured someone might have already tried. Sounds like I need to take a small sample to taste and not experiment on a whole batch.

The real answer to "Why"? Is "Why not?"

I think lump would be a better option than brickettes. They tend to add things like starches and nitrates to brickettes. Lump is supposed to be just wood.

I dont think that lump would provie much flavor at all to beer. It would be more of a flavor filter I would think. All of the moisture and other organice compounds are driven out by heat, not by direct contact with flame. It wont be a toasted oak flavor, those flavors are gone. Essentially you are putting straight carbon in there. Like you said, Its a 'why not' kind of deal. I cant see it doing much other than acting as a booze soaked carbon filter.
I'd also be worried that the lump is not just pure wood. Anything thats not meant to be food usually has something in it I dont want in my beer. Chemicals, accelerants, etc.

A) I wouldn't use lump charcoal (or any charcoal, for that matter).

B) If I did use lump charcoal, I sure as hell wouldn't use Cowboy lump charcoal:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag6.htm

bag6strange.jpg

bag6ply2.jpg

bag108interest5.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I've done the toasted oak cubes. Just curious about charcoal instead. Figured someone might have already tried. Sounds like I need to take a small sample to taste and not experiment on a whole batch.

The real answer to "Why"? Is "Why not?"

The answer to that is probably "because it will make your beer taste awful" or "because it's hazardous to your health" or both.

The answer to that is probably "because it will make your beer taste awful" or "because it's hazardous to your health" or both.

Agreed. However my searching around hadn't found any info for either, hence the post.

Further, up until TasunkaWitko posted his research, the others in this thread only posted "Why?" with no contribution to the discussion.

I have found my answer, and will not be putting the charcoal into my beer.

Thanks to all

Latest posts

Back