Lucky night !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass0721

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What a great night! Last night I went to my local brewery (as always) and was talking to the owner. He has always asked me when I was going to open my own brewery. I give him the same answer every time. I am still in the military (24 years) and have 3 years left till I can retire. Like everyone in here it's my dream to have my own place. I have been brewing for about 14 years now. He has had my stuff on tap and it seems to be enjoyed. Always goes quick. Last night he was telling me of an opportunity that I don't think I can pass up. There is a tavern in the next town over who just has their only brewer walk out. I was sitting with a few friends, one is a retired military and one used to be on the town counsel. The owner told me that the guy that owns this tavern just wants to have beer flowing again. So I guess the bottom line is this. After meeting with the tavern owner we found out that he will rent the entire brewery out for only $200 a month. I will have to keep 3 on tap for him with his name ( he will buy it from us). It is a complete 10 bbl system with everything to include 3 pallets of malt and 12 cases of hops. I will brew every Wednesday night, and also work on the weekends. It seems too good to be true. Right place at the right time. There is also a distribution agreement with microstarr. Looks like I have a second job now.

$200/ month seems weird. Is that just for hardware or is rent included? Will you be an employee or a business owner?

Anyway, good luck. Do you have control over recipes?

$200 for everything, we have the option to buy the equipment for 15k. We will be owners with complete control. The last brewer didn't save any recipes or even a brewer's log. The tavern owner only wants an IPA, a stout, and a pale. He doesn't care as long as it is good and consistent.

Would you be working under his license? Otherwise you'll probably have to be licensed yourself. I think it's an all around ATF regulation that two license holders can't partner up. If that is the case everywhere, he could either give it to you or sell it hopefully for a modest fee. Preferably the former, since you'll be brewing his beer.

Hope all goes well for ya. That is an awesome opportunity.

All systems GO !!!!

I am now one of the Owners of a new brewery. Still working out all the details, but things are going forward. The local brewery owner just asked me to stay out of his town and in return he will stay out of the town that we will be in. He is also giving us one of his accounts that request 7 bbls a month. I am amazed at how fast this is taking off. I have already met with some of the people from Miller-Coors and they are concidering a distrobution plan in about 6 months. So, on monday I will be brewing the first 10 bbl batch. Working of the labels and tax stuff now. Growerls are in the near future. Have to spend some money on a new (or used) 20 bbl fermenter. Right now there are four 10 bbl fermenters. Keepyour fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back