LP Propane Orifice for Blichmann Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackSmith

Reaction score
I'm building a brew stand around Blichmann floor burners. One of them will be automated using the typical parts - auber PID, RTD, Honeywell standing pilot valve, RV LP regulator, etc.

Where can I get the correct orifice to run low pressure propane through the Blichmann burner? I contacted Blichmann to ask if their natural gas orifice will work. This is their response:

"The natural gas orifice is not compatible with LP propane. It is very possible the Top Tier burner will work with LP propane in its original configuration. We highly recommend checking with your LP supplier or qualified licensed plumber. Sorry I couldn't be more help."

I actually picked up a Blichmann NG orifice since it was only $5. I'll try both once I have everything set up and will post back if either works, though I'm guessing neither will. Is anyone here using LP propane on a Blichmann burner? What orifice are you using?

I got my honeywell valve hooked up and functioning today, which means I got to test the Blichmann burner on low pressure propane. Tried both orifices. Confirmed the NG one from Blichmann does not work. I get all yellow flame, regardless of air damper setting or needle valve. I get blue flame if I used the orifice that came with the burner, but the flame is tiny, even with the needle valve opened all the way.

Does anyone know what orifice should be purchased to run a Blichmann burner on low pressure propane? Will the one for a Banjo/Hurricane burner work, since the Blichmann burner is a similar/identical design? They sell this one on Brewer's Hardware. I sent them a message a while back asking if it would work, but they never replied.

Or, does anyone know what size hole the orifice should be drilled out to?

I would think that the orifice you are looking at brewershardware should work. The burners are the same. I'm utilizing my high pressure system and using a 24vac solenoid for the valve instead of the low pressure gas valve but the control for the Honeywell gas valve.

I filled the NG orifice with solder and drilled it out to test a couple different sizes. I found that 1/16" (0.0625") gives a clean blue flame, but too small. Damper only needed to be open 1/3 of the way to get a clean flame. So I tried the next size bit I had - 5/64" (0.078") - and found this to be too big. With the damper fully open the flame was almost all blue, but there was some lazy yellow. It was running just a bit too rich. I think I need something in the .072 range. Unfortunately I don't have wire bits to try the in-between sizes.

Anyone know what size the hole is in the brewershardware orifice?

I contacted Brewers Hardware again to ask what size the orifice they sell for low pressure LPG is. Darrin replied that it's .083" - which is bigger than the too-big 5/64 hole I drilled. Based on this, it sounds like it won't work on a Blichmann burner, despite it looking so much like a BG14.

I'm going to get a set of #48 - #52 drill bits to find the right size and will post back here once I've done so.

Any news on this?
I have two honeywell valves with intermittent pilot ignitor, and two blichmann burners. I am in the last phase of automation - which is making sure everything works as expected.
Tested my blichmanns today on low pressure and...no go.

I was thinking of trying the Hurricane low pressure valve with orifice
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE-BURNER-LPG-GAS-VALVE-P2690.aspx

I ran a similar experiment as JackSmith.
Original blichmann high pressure orifice - little to no flame and trouble lighting the whole burner.
Drilled this out to 1/16. Little flame, trouble lighting the whole burner.
Drilled out to 5/64. Flickers of yellow with damper opened all the way. there is a bit more yellow with a pot on the burner. I am flabergasted by the difference just ~1/100th of an inch makes!

tried the valve with orifice (.081, or #46). more steady yellow in some places with damper all the way open. This might be acceptable for some

Tejas Smokers have a variety of orifice fittings, and they will drill them to custom sizes.
http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/brassfittings.htm#orifices

I just ordered two with a #49 (.073in) orifice. If this doesn't work, I will try #50 (.070) or #48 (.076). If these all fail, I will probably ditch my blichmann burners. What good is low pressure burner that doesn't work with
low pressure? I would be curious to know what makes the blichmann burner so different than the other, not so proprietary, burners.

This is their response:

"The natural gas orifice is not compatible with LP propane. It is very possible the Top Tier burner will work with LP propane in its original configuration. We highly recommend checking with your LP supplier or qualified licensed plumber. Sorry I couldn't be more help."

The lack of support in the above is also surprising. When I emailed blichmann and asked, the response dodged the question, and tried to sell me a tower of power. These use a solenoid - not sure of the voltage, or what type of pilot it runs. If they sold just these parts I would have
bought those instead of honeywells. Nonetheless, I will be happiest if I can get this working with low pressure. I rather like the idea of
having intermittent pilot lights.

seems like I am only posting this for posterity.

Just tried the #49 .073 orifice. There is no standing yellow, but yellow still "flickers" randomly throughout the burner. The .081 valve has the same effect (with the damper all the way open), but the flame is much bigger. I am going to try dialing down the pressure on the regulator to see if this helps and will post back. If this doesn't help, I will get the #50 (.070) orifice and see if this works.

Also, the #49 I just got has trouble lighting unless the damper is half closed. The .081 has no problems lighting even with the damper all the way open.

I got a response fro Tejas Smokers to buy their CV0250 orifice drilled to #50. I am just struggling with the $20x3 over just buying the once from williams or brewers hardware for ~$7/ea.

Resurrecting this, did anyone ever figure out what oriface to use with a blichmann floor burner? Did the brewers hardware one work? I too have emailed them but no response.

I used the ones from Williams for my banjo burners and a low pressure propane regulator obviously

Back