LP Burner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
For a variety of reasons I would like to relocate my brewing operations from the kitchen to the basement. For boiling purposes it looks like a turkey fryer setup would be the easiest to work with as it is on a stand. But EVERYTHING on the manufacturer's web sites say that they are for outdoor use only. If I were dropping a turkey into boiling oil that would make perfect sense. But with proper ventilation I don't see why it wouldn't be a viable option for brewing beer in my basement. Do any of you use an LP burner in the house to brew beer with?

It's to do with the volume of CO that the burners throw off.

With proper ventilation you will be fine. Definitely should pick up a CO detector fo added safety.

I brew in my garage with a triple burner set-up. Or, I did before I went natural gas (still in the garage tho')

I brew in the garage with a triple burner too. If I don't have my door at least half open its a pretty substantial propane cloud in there. There are a ton of BTU's goin on with my rig, however a single burner like what your talkin, say right next to an egress window or something like that i think would be fine. :mug:

I also use a powerful propane burner in my garage.

However it can be dangerous. According to the people who recommend that these burners only be used outdoors: The use and/or storage of propane tanks larger then the tiny camping lantern type cylinders, is a no no! If you had a fire in your house and the propane tank was in the basement (or garage) it could blow up making your fire much worse. I don't think your home owners insurance would be so keen about the idea.

I'm not saying don't do it. Just think about it. At the very least, keep the tanks outside when your not using them.

Latest posts

Back