lowe's holiday brand chest freezer cornversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmpolesov

Reaction score
I'm converting a $168 lowe's chest freezer to kegerator usage.

I have made the decision that I want the CO2 tank on the outside, for easy access to the shutoff valve on the regulator nipple. If I am not dispensing or force carbing I want to be able to shut off the flow of gas. At least initially until I trust the whole system not to dump 5 gallons of beer on the carpet, because of some screw up or faulty part, while I'm away at work. I know I'm overly paranoid but that is just how I am, and it can't be helped.

I am also thinking of putting it on casters as BobbyFromNJ has done in his youtube videos.

Here's some pics so far. Oh wait, I don't see anywhere to attach files, I guess you can't do that when you're a freeloader on this board. Oh well!

Your kegs will still have pressure in them, even if you turn the CO2 off. To avoid spills, you'll have to put valves in the beer lines or disconnect the lines at the kegs. Even venting the kegs won't do the trick as more CO2 will come out of solution and re-pressurize them.

My kegger is based on the 5 cu.ft. Holiday. I have a collar and the CO2 sits on the compressor hump. To shut it off, I just open the lid.

Thanks. Man this is turning into a production. That's okay, I'm getting by with the picnic tap for now!

I'll go with just disconnecting the kegs at the corny fitting for now.

Hypothetically what would happen if 5 gallons of beer got dumped inside the kegerator due to a bad poppet, etc? I don't think the thing is water tight. Crap, I wish I just had a basement with a floor drain wher I could put the sucker, then I could worry about more important things like what batch to brew next!

I'm hoping to avoid having to open the lid to shutoff the CO2, because I got all ambitious and made fancy rails for the lid top, so I can put things on top like beer mugs, etc. I was hoping to have it set up so that opening the top would be at a minimum, I realise it's a tradeoff from a front-door fridge configuration.

You didn't say which model you have, but the 5 cu ft. has a drain in it and with the drain closed, it holds water just fine. Mine sits in a washing machine tray, so I can drain the condensation as necessary.

You can just put a tub of damp rid and get rid of condensation all together. I had mold growing in mine after a while, damp rid got rid of that problem.

Having your CO2 tank outside your kegerator is preferable - it will last longer as it is warmer and gas expands with temp.

GT

x3. When the gas gets into the keg, it cools down and shrinks, pulling more gas in, until an equalibrium is reached, at the same point as if the tank was inside.

Back