Lower temps when yeast pitched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTS_35

Reaction score
So I wasn't thinking I guess and when I made my cider this time I stored the cider in the fridge before my process. Of course it was too damn chilled for the yeast. Not wanting to let it sit overnight I tried to warm it best as possible and got it to 53f roughly when I pitched the safale 05. Any advice? Currently its very low activity. Today is day 3 and there are some large bubbles formed when I looked this am. I didn't take the temperature though I should have. It's been sitting in a fairly warm bathroom. I keep comparing it to the time I used safale 05 on an IPA kit. Thar was like a bomb went off. Very active.

Cider fermentation is usually less vigorous than beer fermentation due in-part to cider having less natural nutrients.

So you pitched the US-05 at 53f and then let the fermenter free-rise to the ambient indoor temp? That should be fine. Are you getting any airlock activity... even an occasional blip?

I'm getting ready to rack a 6gallon cider that spent 10 days at 60 degrees. I pitched Nottingham. FG is below 1.000 and the fermenter activity was never crazy like beers can be.

As long as the yeast was at the same temperature when you pitched it, things should pick up when it gets warmer. If there was a big difference between yeast temp and the cider then you could have damaged your yeast with thermal shock.

Thought that too friarsmith; about less active due to the cider. Maylar the yeast was room temp (66) and the cider which came out of fridge then sat a while to let come to room temp, only got to 53-55. Idk why I put the cider in fridge. I never do that. There's little activity in there. I did take the temp today and it was 75f

I hope the elevated temperature doesn't throw some nasty flavors into your cider.

The room it's in is ranging from 70 to 73. I think the higher temp of 75 came from activity not room temp. Days later the cider temp was equal to room temp.

Back