Quantcast

Lower Attenuation = sweeter cider?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

aliu630

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Location
Irvine, CA
Hi Guys,

I jsut finished making my hard cider and it turned out dryer than i expected. I was thinking next time I can pick an ale yeast that has lower attenuation so less sugar would b converted to alcohol therefore making it somewhat sweeter. Would this work? Is there any yeast that you guys can recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help!
 

zoebisch01

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,180
Reaction score
11
Location
Central PA
aliu630 said:
Hi Guys,

I jsut finished making my hard cider and it turned out dryer than i expected. I was thinking next time I can pick an ale yeast that has lower attenuation so less sugar would b converted to alcohol therefore making it somewhat sweeter. Would this work? Is there any yeast that you guys can recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Well, I am not sure. I am going to post some results soon from my yeast experiment. What I seem to have found, at least in the case with fresh pressed unpasteurized cider, is that the Ale, Wine and Natural yeasts have all put the gravity down to 1.001. The only real difference I have noticed is slightly different (although not terribly much so far) flavor profiles and flocculation properties (obviously). That and the first yeast to finish out was the Ale, followed by the Wine and lastly the Natural yeast.

So for sweeter, at least in my experience with this test, is that you'd probably have to kill the yeast and back sweeten. Or how about adding a touch of syrup at serving time? You could experiment easily.
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,304
Reaction score
3,678
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
zoebisch01 said:
Well, I am not sure. I am going to post some results soon from my yeast experiment. What I seem to have found, at least in the case with fresh pressed unpasteurized cider, is that the Ale, Wine and Natural yeasts have all put the gravity down to 1.001. The only real difference I have noticed is slightly different (although not terribly much so far) flavor profiles and flocculation properties (obviously). That and the first yeast to finish out was the Ale, followed by the Wine and lastly the Natural yeast.

So for sweeter, at least in my experience with this test, is that you'd probably have to kill the yeast and back sweeten. Or how about adding a touch of syrup at serving time? You could experiment easily.
Or couldn't you just add a non fermentable sugar, such as lactose?
 

zoebisch01

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,180
Reaction score
11
Location
Central PA
Revvy said:
Or couldn't you just add a non fermentable sugar, such as lactose?
It would work, although it would take some experimentation to see if you like it or not. Personally I don't like Lactose, Splenda, etc sweetened products. The taste to me is no good. The Lactose sort of fits in a Sweet Stout because the 'creamy' flavor fits. I couldn't see it fitting in a Cider personally, but as always I am all for people experimenting. :fro:
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,304
Reaction score
3,678
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
zoebisch01 said:
It would work, although it would take some experimentation to see if you like it or not. Personally I don't like Lactose, Splenda, etc sweetened products. The taste to me is no good. The Lactose sort of fits in a Sweet Stout because the 'creamy' flavor fits. I couldn't see it fitting in a Cider personally, but as always I am all for people experimenting. :fro:
I chucked a half pound I had left over from my last sweet stout into a batch of the 'ole apfelwein on Sunday out of curiousity. So i'll let you know in a month.

But I feel like a total idiot. I took a OG reading, but needed to go get my reading glasses...and forgot to actually write it down. :eek:
 

zoebisch01

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,180
Reaction score
11
Location
Central PA
Revvy said:
But I feel like a total idiot. I took a OG reading, but needed to go get my reading glasses...and forgot to actually write it down. :eek:

Ahh, worse things have happened I am sure :D.
 
OP
aliu630

aliu630

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Location
Irvine, CA
Yeah, I think i willl try some experiments. I have never used lactose or splenda before. I so may try this route. I actually enjoy the cider the way it is right now, but was thinking about making it sweeter for my friends who may not like it so dry. I'm actually not planning to carbonate this, so I may also try killing the yeast w/ campden tablets ( is this the right thing to use?).

Eager to know the results of ur experiment zoebisch01.
 
Top