Low shoot -Should I train it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabbz

Reaction score
First year growing, but loving the new "sub-hobby." Anyway, on my centennial I about a foot up I have new fairly long shoot coming out the side. It looks long enough to train up my trellis. Would it be worth attempting or should I just trim it off so the plant doesn't waste the energy? Also any other noob advice. I already know I need a taller trellis for next year. This guy I got right now is only 12 feet or so.

Thanks.

Oh god no don't trim it, those are the side arms and are where a majority of your hops are going to grow! They will grow outward and create tons of leaf nodes, which is where your hop flowers grow.

If its long enough that you can maneuver it onto your trellis without breaking it go for it, otherwise just keep an eye on it until its long enough to do so.

Granted the "low" side arms arent typically huge producers, but side arms in general are so you shouldnt crop them!

What he said. Also, I don't trim first or even second years. Better for them to have leaves to gain energy to store into the root system. Two biggest rookie hop grower mistakes are over watering and over trimming. Good luck!

Back