Low profile Sanke fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
I just sourced a few old half barrel kegs. My fermenting freezer is only 29 in high on the inside. Kegs are 26 inches high. Is there a low profile conversion kit out there to use them as fermenters? I'm going to buy a normal conversion kit from NorCal for my fermenting fridge which has plenty of clearance but the freezer seems to be a dead end.

If not, I was thinking about keeping something in the keg full time and pulling 5g out periodically and replace it with new wort. Specifically was thinking of a mixed ferment Farmhouse style. Any recs for a recipe or yeast that can tolerate variable temperature (45-85 F) somewhat indefinite aging? I really loved some of the saisons made from bootleg biology yeast blends but didn't know if some of the non-sach species would overly dominate after awhile.

I use an orange cap with a blow off tube. Then to transfer after fermentation I’ll put a racking cane in one opening and add co2 (3-4 psi) through the other. I have a fitting with a barb on one end and male flare on the other for this. A hose clamp around the orange cap is good to keep it from popping off.

On another fermenter I cut a corny size hole and used a corny lid with a gas post top to add the co2. Like that because you can see inside.

Or just ferment with orange cap and blow off tube and use your existing conversion kit to transfer.

Thanks for the tips. How much pressure can the orange cap tolerate with a hose clamp? Want to push co2 through serving kegs during ferment to purge and use a sounding on last keg. If I turn it down to 5psi would that hold?

I use an orange cap with a blow off tube. Then to transfer after fermentation I’ll put a racking cane in one opening and add co2 (3-4 psi) through the other. I have a fitting with a barb on one end and male flare on the other for this. A hose clamp around the orange cap is good to keep it from popping off.

On another fermenter I cut a corny size hole and used a corny lid with a gas post top to add the co2. Like that because you can see inside.

Or just ferment with orange cap and blow off tube and use your existing conversion kit to transfer.

With a clamp that has held for me. I wouldn’t go higher than that.

Don’t forget about the relatively simple and cheap collar for your freezer. You can add height for peanuts.

Sankes take 2" TC fittings so you have plenty of options if you want to use TC. You could use something like this
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tc2npt_tapped.htm
and hook up a street elbow fitting and an MPTxbarb fitting to make a blowoff setup. That should keep you within your clearance

You'd have to swap to a different TC assembly if you want to pressure transfer.

That is perfect! I could rig that to purge my serving kegs with CO2 as well. Then, as you said, switch out for a pressure transfer rig at the appropriate time. Thanks for that link!

Sankes take 2" TC fittings so you have plenty of options if you want to use TC. You could use something like this
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tc2npt_tapped.htm
and hook up a street elbow fitting and an MPTxbarb fitting to make a blowoff setup. That should keep you within your clearance

You'd have to swap to a different TC assembly if you want to pressure transfer.

Latest posts

Back