Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pktshc

Reaction score
I just did a batch of wheat beer (A knock-off of Miami Weisse) and when I took the OG before pitching the yeast it was quite low. The recipe calls for an OG of 1.052 and I got something more along the lines of 1.036. What happened? Is it going to turn out okay?

Here is my adapted recipe and steps below. Let me know if I am missing something or you have an idea how this could have happened.

6lbs Muntons Wheat DME (60% wheat)
8 oz Wheat grains
4 oz Crystal 40L
1 oz of Williamette hops (60 minute boil)
1/4 oz of Perle Hops (5 minute boil)
Windsor yeast (the original recipe called for Bavarian, but the LHBS was out)

1. Steeped grains (in grain bag) at 160 degrees for 25 minutes in 2g water.
2. Added DME, stirring and brought the water (w/out grains) to boil.
3. Added 1 oz of Williamette Hops at boil. Started 60 minute boil.
4. Added 1/4 oz Perle hops with 5 minutes left in boil.
5. Cooled wort to 74 degrees.
6. Strained wort into fermenter (i think this is what messed up the OG)
7. added additional water to make 5 gallons.
8. took gravity reading (multiple times) and got consistently 1.035-1.037.
9. Got mad.
10. Pitched rehydrated yeast.
11. Sat down and typed this note.

Thoughts?

Would straining the wort cause such a drastic decline in OG?
I did use different yeast and hops for the wort than the original recipe called for. Would that cause it?
Should I be worried? I know, RDWHAHB...but still.

Thanks- Jeff

im no expert but you might have not shaken the wort enough. i took a reading once and it was way off. I shook the heck out of the wort, took another sample and was really close.

If you followed your recipe, the you probably didn't stir your boiled wort with your topoff water enough (step 6.5 :D)...it's a common situation. It will be fine.

+1 to not enough stirring.... My first few batches happened that way, now I stir for quite a while...You cant hardly miss you OG when extract brewing... Dont worry, it will be fine.

Sweet...that is what I thought, but I just wanted to check with the experts to find out for sure.

Have a great one.

Back