Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deantheking101

Reaction score
I just brewed a bath with a OG of 1.022. It was a 6 gallon batch. I have brewed a couple dozen batches so i did not do anything extremely wrong such as mashing incorrectly etc....

5 lb 2 row
4 lb malted rye
1 lb 60L
.5 lb victory malt

the beer calculator i used said i should get a OG of 1.045. I was told by my LHB that i did not need a protein rest with the rye since it was malted. Looks like i did:confused:

1. Do you think the problem was with the rye and if not then what?
2. What should i do now? I was thinking about adding some DME?

Even if the rye wasn't malted I think you still have enough diastic power to convert the whole batch.

Are you sure you didn't mash too cool? Oversparge? Is the volume really six gallons or could it be more? You said you didn't do anything wrong but something obviously did. Have you tried taking another reading to see if maybe your first was just off?

Your right i did do something wrong, and i did recheck it and it was still the same. Still the question remains what should i do now?

I mashed at 154 for 1 hr and did brew in a bag method with 5 gallons and sparged with 2 gallons, boiled for 1 hr.

Latest posts

Back