Low OG reading on first batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstatepike

Reaction score
Two questions that are mostly likely intertwined. I made the American Pale Ale recipe from Palmer's book. After 2 days, I remembered to take an OG reading. The krausen was completely gone, and the reading came out to 1.016, which according to BeerSmith is very low for this style.

Will this resolve to a ABV% that will be really low?
Can I fix this? Should I? How?

I was planning to rack to a secondary after a week or so, then 3 weeks in a secondary.

Here is the recipe, tweaked slightly by talking to the guys at AHS.
3.5 lbs. pale LME
3 lbs. amber DME
.5oz 12% AA hops for bittering
.8oz 6% AA hops to finish
1 packet of Windsor yeast

Now, I followed the directions in the book and started w/ 6 gallons total to allow for some loss through the process. However, I had to partially cover the boil to keep it going and I think I did not lose enough water to compensate.

I'd appreciate any input - I'm anxious to learn. :)

If I'm understanding correctly you brewed, put into your carboy/bucket/etc and two days later took your first and only reading? Is that correct? If so, that's not your OG. You've given the yeast 48 hours to eat away at the sugars. At this point I wouldn't worry and just let it sit a few weeks.

Also, you covered your boil? That's not a good idea. Search "DMS" and hopefully that will get you to some threads that will explain it all for you.

Yes, you understood correctly - sorry if I was not clear.

I didn't cover it, but occasionally half-covered it when the boil slowed. I knew not to keep the cover on tight the whole time to allow stuff to vent off.

So does this mean the OG was higher than my sample?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Back