Low OG after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingChip

Reaction score
Hey all,

I tried my first BIAB recipe and decided on a mosaic pale ale from my LHBS. The expected OG was 1.043 and after letting the wort cool and topping off with cool water to hit 3 gallons, my OG was 1.025 or so. I shook the fermenter vigorously for almost 5 minutes, took another reading, and got it up to 1.030.

The expected ABV is 4.5% and I am afraid I messed up this batch. The intended FG is 1.009. My beer has been fermenting for a little over 12 hours and the airlock is bubbling.

Is my beer ruined? I am additionally thinking of adding some mango to maybe half of it in a couple of weeks, not sure if that would help save this batch or not.

Any thoughts?! I am still new to all of this and just hope I didn't waste a 3 gallon batch.

Did you test gravity after the mash but before the boil? (Pre boil gravity). Sounds like when you topped up with water you added too much. I am a bit confused by your process ... why top up with water when doing BIAB?

I only measured after the boil and after adding water. The recipe said to have a 1.5 gallon boil for a 3.0 gallon batch. I started my 60 minute mash with just 1.5 gallons because that's how I interpreted the recipe, and even though the recipe didn't tell me to, I sparged after the mash with about 0.75 gallons. So my boil was maybe like 1.3 gallons or something near that. I ended the boil with about 0.75 gallons........

I was pretty frustrated with it all. Obviously I want to know what I should've done differently so that I don't make this mistake again, but right now my main concern is if I ruined my beer or if it has the potential to be decent.

It'll still be beer. And I suspect that you may still have a higher gravity than you think.

With extract top off you can just trust the math. With all-grain it's tougher.

I suggest next time you read the gravity before topping off and then calculate the volume you neee to top off to.

Yup, wish I would've taken a reading before topping off. I threw caution to the wind and I suppose I am getting what I deserve. At least I am learning!

I only measured after the boil and after adding water. The recipe said to have a 1.5 gallon boil for a 3.0 gallon batch. I started my 60 minute mash with just 1.5 gallons because that's how I interpreted the recipe, and even though the recipe didn't tell me to, I sparged after the mash with about 0.75 gallons. So my boil was maybe like 1.3 gallons or something near that. I ended the boil with about 0.75 gallons........

I was pretty frustrated with it all. Obviously I want to know what I should've done differently so that I don't make this mistake again, but right now my main concern is if I ruined my beer or if it has the potential to be decent.

I have no idea what recipe you are trying to follow, but your technique and water volumes were highly inappropriate imo. Not surprising your gravity is low.

For a typical 3 gallon batch one would mash with 4-5 gallons start the boil w 3.5 - 4 gallons and hope to finish w 3 gallons.

While not ruined, the beer will be very light at 1.030

If your post boil was .75 gallon and you diluted to 3 gallons, I'm surprised you were able to achieve 1.030?

Topping up that much is unusually excessive. Ideally zero top up is best. Most I would try and top up a
3 gallon batch would be about a gallon, you topped up 2 1/2 gallons water on .75 gallons wort.
WOW!!!

Way to much to achieve any sort of decent efficiency.

How big is your kettle?

The pot was 5.25 gallons. When I went to the LHBS, I told them my pot size and that I was new to BIAB and the recipe they gave me said to have a 1.5 gallon boil for a 3 gallon batch. I didn't question it since I am still very new to this and figured the recipe would just all work out. My grain bill was this:

4 pounds Pale 2 row
1 pound Bonlander Munich 10L
0.25 pounds Caramel/Crystal 40L
0.25 pounds Flaked Wheat

The entire recipe just felt strange, but I didn't know any different since this was my first BIAB. I had a ton of room in my pot to add more water, but I didn't want to go against the recipe. Looking back on it, I wish I just added way more water so I wouldn't have to top off very much post boil. In the end, this was also an experiment to get familiar with doing BIAB so I am sure my next BIAB batch will be way better.

Last edited:
The pot was 5.25 gallons. I told them my pot size and that I was new to BIAB and the recipe they gave me said to have a 1.5 gallon boil for a 3 gallon batch. .

Horrible advice almost certain to fail imo.

All grain beer works best with full volume boil, or perhaps a slight top up.

This is far too excessive. Tell them I said so , and ask for a credit lol j/k but not really.

Next time try mashing with 4 gallons, my guess your gravity will exceed expectation.

Ideally one wants to pass all brewing water through the grain for best efficiency, if you have the room in your kettle, and I believe easily you do for a 3 gallon batch.

Topping up would be appropriate if you were to try a 5 gallon batch in your 5 1/4 gallon kettle. Say post boil 4 gallons and topping up 1 gallon or hopefully less...

Top up volume should be minimized for best efficiency.

Well, now I know what not to do haha. I will not make this mistake again. I will post on here how it tastes with and without the mango additions in secondary.

Well, now I know what not to do haha. I will not make this mistake again. I will post on here how it tastes with and without the mango additions in secondary.

I would save the mango and not bother splitting the batch, but your call.

I wouldn't bother putting much more energy or money into this attempt...

Adding a pound of LME to the fermenter would help if you want to go down that road to "saving" the beer.

Just for giggles i put your recipe into brewers friend. You could probably mash in 4G with your 5.5# of grain. Your pre boil should be 1033 and post boil 1047 . If you add water, you can do it after you pull the bag, but before you boil. Lot's of folks use water/wort from a 'dunk sparge' to get that boil volume up to the right level. Good learning experience.

Back