Low-Height Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

As of now, I'm doing all of my brewing on my gas stove in the kitchen. The thing is, the microwave/hood is none-too-far above the range, meaning I have 14" clearance on the front burners and 13.5" on the back two.

Any suggestions for boil kettles that can do batches that end at 5 to 7 gal, after boil, that will fit? I'm thinking of a Prime Pacific that I found on Amazon, but would hate to miss out on other options.

Thanks!

I used to use an aluminum tamale steamer when I brewed on my stove. Worked pretty well for about 5.5 gallons post boil. It was filled pretty much up to the top but my stove wasn't powerful enough to generate a boil over as long as I was watching it. I think I only paid $25 for it which was nice as it was a temporary step in my brewing journey

If you have a combination microwave hood/vent, I would think about getting rid of it. Code (and installation specs) for micro-hoods is 24" clearance, or 30" to anything combustible. For a 5g batch, a 6g kettle is going to be minimal, and probably more like 7-8g would be safer. For a 7g batch, I would want at least a 10g kettle.

I don't think you have any good stove-top solutions, honestly :( I'm also unsure that your stovetop is going to give you a satisfactory boil on 6g of water.

You may want to try a smaller batch size based on your equipment limitations. Sorry to be a killjoy :(

I have this 10 gallon low-height kettle, though haven't used it in a while, as I now use a 15 gal on propane. It measures 12.25" in height and is about 16" diameter. A bit spendy, but it's built like a tank. It has a tri-clad bottom and is induction-ready, if you were to ever switch to an induction burner. On a regular stove it would be difficult to get a good boil, but if you use a bucket heater to assist, it might be doable.

Last edited:
I used to use an aluminum tamale steamer when I brewed on my stove. Worked pretty well for about 5.5 gallons post boil. It was filled pretty much up to the top but my stove wasn't powerful enough to generate a boil over as long as I was watching it. I think I only paid $25 for it which was nice as it was a temporary step in my brewing journey

Hadn't considered those, redllama. Thanks!

If you have a combination microwave hood/vent, I would think about getting rid of it. Code (and installation specs) for micro-hoods is 24" clearance, or 30" to anything combustible. For a 5g batch, a 6g kettle is going to be minimal, and probably more like 7-8g would be safer. For a 7g batch, I would want at least a 10g kettle.

I don't think you have any good stove-top solutions, honestly :( I'm also unsure that your stovetop is going to give you a satisfactory boil on 6g of water.

You may want to try a smaller batch size based on your equipment limitations. Sorry to be a killjoy :(

Yowza! I've got some thinking to do. Thanks, mirthfuldragon!

I have this 10 gallon low-height kettle, though haven't used it in a while, as I now use a 15 gal on propane. It measures 12.25" in height and is about 16" diameter. A bit spendy, but it's built like a tank. It has a tri-clad bottom and is induction-ready, if you were to ever switch to an induction burner. On a regular stove it would be difficult to get a good boil, but if you use a bucket heater to assist, it might be doable.

Thanks, MaxStout. Might be nice to have that extra room. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back