Low gravity session beer, questions on bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklordenron

Reaction score
I brewed up this concoction yesterday:

.75 lbs Cara-Pils Malt
2 lbs CBW Golden Light DME
.5 oz. Saaz @60 min
.5 oz. Saaz @10 min
Safale US-05

I'm going to be adding a can of liquified Oregon Blueberries in heavy syrup to the mix once it finishes fermenting. I got a gravity reading of 1.028 or so once it was at room temp, before pitching.

If it ferments out to my expected 1.008, that would leave me with a beer that's around 2.58% abv. ?! Damn, that's a really really low grav. beer right there! My question is how much priming sugar to add since I don't want to overpower it with bubbly.

sorry, it was a 2.5 gallon batch. Fermentation has already begun so I added a can of blueberries already in hopes that it will up the ABV a percentage point or so. We'll see! Thanks for that link, it's real helpful!

a good rule of thumb is just under an ounce of priming sugar per gallon to hit about 2.5 volumes... move it up or down based on what you want. with a session beer that low, i'd probably be inclined to drop it below 2.5 slightly. maybe 2 ounces for a 2.5 gallon batch..

curious as to how this comes out, i'm a firm believer super low gravity beers are harder to make. i've never had a good homebrew that started under .030... always grossly out of balance in some way.

Well I've never actually brewed one that's been this low before! I will certainly let you know how it is by posting in this thread again. Next time however I will try very hard to get it to 4% perhaps a bit over that, maybe 4.2% or so.

Latest posts

Back