Low gravity IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirrorbrewer

Reaction score
So I was brewing an IPA modeled after Inversion from Deschutes Brewery. This was an extract batch and was helped by my local homebrew shop to do some translations from AG to extract.
Here is my recipe we came up with
4.5 lb Pale LME
3/4 lb Crystal 40L
1/4 lb Munich
London ale yeast WLP013 Vial
1oz Millennium (pellets)
2oz Northern Brewer (leaf)
2oz Cascade (leaf)
2oz Centennial (leaf)
2oz Citra (leaf)
1 tsp Irish Moss
2 tsp Gypsum

Boil volume: 3 gal

Brew went well until the end when I added back some water to get my volume of 3 gal. Before I added back the water my gravity read 1050. After I added about 1/2 gal water back my gravity dropped to 1030 :(.

This is day 1 of fermentation and I am getting plenty of action in my carboy but I do not want a 2% IPA.

Looking for advice on how I could bump the gravity up in the fermentation process without adding too many different flavors. I have about 2.5 oz more hops to dry hop throughout the next while and the taste of the wort was great just a bit watered down.

Thanks for all of the input! I have been brewing for about a year and want to know more and more!

Sent from my A210 using Home Brew mobile app

If you did have 2.5G of 1.050 wort and diluted it down to 3 gallons your OG should have been about 1.042: OG(2) = OG(1) * V(1)/V(2) with OG as the gravity points, e.g. 1.050 is 50 gravity points.
You are likely looking at a 4%, and depending on the hops schedule maybe a very hoppy pale ale.
What were the IBUs etc?

Thanks for that info on gravity points! So my measurements got a little off in my transfer and 1/2 gal of added H2O may have been more than that. Talked to some guys at my LHBS and they said to decide on a good spot in Ferm to add in some sugar back. What do you think about that? I did a hop schedule that gave me about 85 IBU so it is gonna be a VERY hoppy pale I think haha! I took a deep breath today and realized I am not totally screwed.

Back