Low gravity Belgian Pale recipe development

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thCapn

Reaction score
I'm working on a project for a local competition and am looking for some input on recipe development. I brew all grain, 5 gallon batches, single infusion mash and batch sparge.

I am specifically working on a low alcohol (>4.5%) Belgian Pale Ale with a little flavor twist. I'm looking for something light and dry with citrus and honey characteristics and a slight spice. Here's what I have so far.

Belgian Pilsner malt, 5 lb
Crystal 10L, 1 lb
Brumalt, 1 lb
Sterling hops, 0.4 oz @60 min
Centennial hops, 0.3 oz @ 15 min
Mosaic hops, 0.3 oz @ 1 min
Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522
90 min boil
Ferment at 66 for 2 weeks then 60 (the free air temp of my basement) for another 2
Keg and carbonate to 2.5 vols

I have been brewing all grain for only a couple months and this is my first attempt to create a recipe from scratch.

Constructive feedback appreciated. Thanks,

--th Cap'n

I think that this looks super delicious. My only concern would be, for competition, that the centennial and mosaic are decidedly not to-style. I'm saying that strictly with competition in mind. If it were for any other purpose, I would absolutely keep them.

I have been making this stuff that I call Houblon Lite- it is based loosely on the hop schedule from Hop Chewy. Although this is definitely not to style, I think it is consistent with the freewheeling Belgian brewing tradition (or at least how I envision it). Mine is a bit stronger than 4.5% (OG 1.055, 5.8% ABV), but you could try with less base malt and cut back on the 60 CTZ addition.

We cant get enough of this stuff, it has a great tropical / Belgian phenol aroma, a nice citrus / spicy hit, and then this grapefruit rind bitterness. I jack up the CO2 to 2.7 and it has this fantastic tenacious head with tiny bubbles and great lacing.

Here is my recipe for an Americanized Belgian Pale ale-

9# Pilsner
1.5 # Vienna
8 oz Crystal 60
8 oz Flaked Wheat
.6 oz CTZ @ 60
.25 CTZ @ 20
1 oz Saaz @ 5
1.5 oz citra or amarillo dry hop x 5 days (dont over do this and maybe even cut back!)
Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522
Mash @ 154, 90 min boil, Ferment 68 -> 72 over 2 weeks, then let sit for another week or 2 before dryhoping. I think it drinks best after 6-8 weeks from brewing.
Cheers

Thanks for the replies. Fortunately, brewing to style isn't an issue this time--The categories are very loose and I am brewing what will essentially be a light hybrid session ale for this local event.

I don't know what CTZ is, though.

The hop schedule for this is similar to an IPA I make, which really IS delicious and always gets rave reviews from my serious beer friends. Depending on the flavor near the end of conditioning, I may dry hop with mosaics, as I do with the IPA.

Latest posts

Back