Low FG after primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RStolz

Reaction score
Morning Brew friends,

Apologies if this has been beat to death before.

I recently began crushing my own grain prior to brewing. The last two batches came low in the FG after primary fermentation. This last one, pre-boil was almost spot on...for my SG. It was a 60 min boil with my OG supposed to be 1.086 but came in at 1.075.

Now, a couple things I wanted to bounce around so I can hit my FG. Maybe I also need to mess around with my specs in BrewSmith too

-I'm putting around 6 Gal into my fermenter as opposed to the usual 5 for the recipe
-Could dial in the grain crusher more, but considering I was almost spot on pre-boil not sure if that's the issue
-I could also lengthen the boil time to come closer to my OG...but I've never done this before. If I were to lengthen boil time will I also have to adjust the hop addition times? Or can I just stick with the original recipe times, continue to boil and still get the same flavor?

Thanks for any help as I continue to dial in my All grain system.

Cheers!

See replies inserted into your post:
Morning Brew friends,

Apologies if this has been beat to death before.

I recently began crushing my own grain prior to brewing. The last two batches came low in the FG after primary fermentation.
>>What was the FG, and what was expected?
This last one, pre-boil was almost spot on...for my SG. It was a 60 min boil with my OG supposed to be 1.086 but came in at 1.075.
>>Lower OG, lower FG (should be about the same attenuation)

Now, a couple things I wanted to bounce around so I can hit my FG. Maybe I also need to mess around with my specs in BrewSmith too

-I'm putting around 6 Gal into my fermenter as opposed to the usual 5 for the recipe
>>With the same amount of grain, causing lower OG?
-Could dial in the grain crusher more, but considering I was almost spot on pre-boil not sure if that's the issue
>>If your lower OG (1.075 vs 1.086) reflects efficiency loss, the crush would be the first suspect. If it was due to dilution with more water, then no problem.
-I could also lengthen the boil time to come closer to my OG...but I've never done this before. If I were to lengthen boil time will I also have to adjust the hop addition times? Or can I just stick with the original recipe times, continue to boil and still get the same flavor?
>>I'd say it's better to adjust strike and sparge water to hit OG.

Thanks for any help as I continue to dial in my All grain system.

Cheers!

It's possible I misunderstood what you're saying

Back