Low Fermentation Temp for Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badnewsblair

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I pitched one smack pack of Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey into a Belgian-American IPA (recipe from Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing). The smack pack swelled right up after smacking and fermentation appeared to start normally ~12 hours after pitching.

The recipe suggested to keep the fermentation temp on the low side to keep the Belgian characteristics subdued. A quick check on the Wyeast website states the temp range for 1214 is 68 to 74 F (20 to 24 C), but my primary seems to have dropped down to 62 F (17 C) in the last couple days (currently on Day 5 of primary fermentation). Will I be missing out on all the Belgian goodness if I keep it at 62 F? Do I run the risk of putting the 1214 to sleep prematurely? Has anyone had good results using this yeast at such a low temp?

I wasn't worried until today- haven't even taken a hydrometer reading yet, as I am still seeing CO2 bubbles come through the blow-off tube...maybe I should just RDWHAHB, but advice would be appreciated! :mug:

I think you'll be fine. Of course at the higher temps you would get more ester production and more of that "Belgian Thing" but if the style is an IPA you're cooler temps might just be perfect. If you are on day 5 and still see visible signs of fermentation the 1214 seems to be quite happy.

I would try to keep the temps within the recommended range. Maybe move the fermentor to a warmer spot to warm it up a bit.

I would suggest moving it to a warmer spot. Belgian yeast can slow or even stop if they get too cool. Now that it has been 5 days don't be afraid to let the temp get real warm. It will help the yeast finish up.

OG was 1.050. I was thinking I would take another hydrometer measurement once CO2 production seemed to stop. I am a bit curious to see what the gravity is at right now (Day 5) but as I mentioned, I'm still getting some CO2 production, although it has obviously slowed a bit.

What's your OG?

If OG was 1.050 and you are on Day 5, I'm guessing the show is pretty much over. Still I would heat it up to 72-74F to get a little late ester formation and make sure it fully attenuates. You will get some esters, but they will be fairly restrained. Probably a good spot to be in with a belgian IPA.

If I had to take a SWAG I would say you are probably fine with the low temp fermentation. 1214 should be aggressive and alcohol tolerant so it won't be stressed too much by the conditions you are giving it, aside from the low temp.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have started to warm this up. I am kind of hoping for the best of both worlds. With some restrained Belgian characteristics throughout the bulk of fermentation but hopefully by warming it up, I will get better attenuation and hopefully I will still get some of the Belgian goodness to come through :rockin:.

I am in the (almost) exact same boat! 1214 and my fermenter has dropped to about 62 after 2 days of a very active fermentation and (while I know it's not an indication) blow off tube bubbles have slowed to one about every couple of minutes. My OG was about 1.077. I have been contemplating getting an electric blanket or an aquarium heater to warm it up. Any visible signs of activity after you have warmed?

Hey MisterShah, I started to warm mine up near the end of Day 5. I have brought it up to about 80 F (27 C), which is admittedly outside the temperature range listed on the Wyeast website, but I think still acceptable given the that this is a Belgian and the bulk of fermentation is hopefully finished at this point. Much of the krausen had dissipated by the time I started warming it up, and once I had increased the temp, I did notice an increase in bubbles at the surface of the beer. I am not sure if this is actually a reinvigorated fermentation or if I am simply driving some of the CO2 out solution with the higher temperature.

I will be taking a hydrometer reading later today to see where it is at and probably transferring to secondary if all looks well, otherwise I will just leave it and see what the gravity is in a day or two.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I was using an electric blanket for heating, but you would probably have better heat distribution if you used a water bath and aquarium heater. I initially had the electric blanket beneath my carboy but I soon removed it and secured it to the side to avoid cooking the yeast at the bottom. I move it to the opposite side of the carboy every now and then because it is not large enough to wrap around the entire circumference.

I just actually did a warm water bath in a large bucket, and I'll be damned if a couple of minutes after the yeast started dancing around the carboy! I am getting a good amount of blow off tube bubbling too (1 every sec or so)! I'm gonna go pick up an aquarium heater right now and drop it in. Yeasties seem very happy now.

Well looks like I might be in trouble here. I took a hydrometer reading yesterday after 9 days of primary and my gravity is still 1.030. Some bubbles were present on the surface of the beer but much of the krausen has fallen away. My gut reaction is to maintain the warm temp, RDWHAHB, and take another hydrometer reading tomorrow but maybe I should be thinking about pitching more yeast at this point? Any suggestions?

Some research I did suggests that starting the yeast low and trying to keep it that way while it tries to spike, and then gently allowing more heat over a week or so until it gets to max attenuation at 73 deg. and then dropping the temp for clarification for as long as you can stand :eek:

It's a slow but steady strain and I believe if it gets cooked too quick it'll burn out and taste not quite right. The exothermic activity from a vigorous fermentation can raise the carboy temp by well over 8 degrees ambient. If you can keep the temp rise linear from the low of 65 to about 73, you'll be golden (or dark strong in my case).

It's working out so far on another Rochefort 10 clone.

Thanks for the info zymurgyman. This particular batch of mine is long gone but I won't give up on using the 1214 Belgian Abbey strain. I now have a better fermentation setup with dedicated fridge, heat source and an STC-1000 temperature controller so I should be in a better position control temps as you have suggested.

Cheers! :mug:

If you're going to ferment cool with a Belgian strain, a starter and pure O2 are almost mandatory. Otherwise, you risk a stuck fermentation.

Saturday evening I pitched 1214 into my 70F wort.

(1.056 og, no starter just the pack smacked 8 hours before pitching)

My basement ambient temp is about 60f and I have no temp controls.

I had good krausen going Sunday evening and into Monday but not enough to send anything foam out the blowoff tube.

Today, Tuesday, I replace the blow off with a bubbler and things are still quite active. My primary is a plastic big mouth bubbler so I can see plenty of activity still going on at the 72 hour mark. I'm getting a strong bubblegum scent.

For the record, I'm liking the bubblegum.

Back