Low carbonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Solomon

Reaction score
I brewed a barrel aged stout, force carbonated in a keg, and then bottled. The carbonation really didn't take. Is there any way to fix this without dumping the bottles back in the keg?

I was thinking of adding some priming sugar to each bottle, but I don't know if the yeast would still be viable after being in a barrel for a year.

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

You could test one bottle by opening adding the right amount of sugar recap and see what happens in 2weeks, or adding sugar and a tiny bit of CBC1 to each bottle and recapping.

CBC1 is a great idea! Never knew that existed!

There is a lot of residual sugar in this beer FG 1.040. I may just try a small amount of this and hope the bottle doesn't explode. :)

CBC1 is a great idea! Never knew that existed!

There is a lot of residual sugar in this beer FG 1.040. I may just try a small amount of this and hope the bottle doesn't explode. :)
Oh, then the test would be add yeast. What was the projected finished gravity? I’d cut a corner off the packet and tap a little into the neck of the bottle (not even enough to cover the surface) recap. Let us know how it works out. The unused yeast will keep a while if you keep moisture out resealing with tape and putting it in A zip bag works for me.

Any suggestions on how I should mix this, and how much to add to each bottle? I was thinking of adding 2g to a 1/4 water, then add a few drops to each bottle? I may have to experiment with a few bottles, but would love insights from those who have tried this. Thx!

-Mark

Any suggestions on how I should mix this, and how much to add to each bottle? I was thinking of adding 2g to a 1/4 water, then add a few drops to each bottle? I may have to experiment with a few bottles, but would love insights from those who have tried this. Thx!

-Mark
No need to rehydrate/mix. Just add a tiny bit of yeast as described in my post above. The less you do, the less likely you’ll add oxygen or contaminants.

Back