Low calorie SWMBO BREW??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I figured a highly fermentable low ABV beer would likely be low calorie.

Does lagering drop calories out of suspension?;)

Any suggestions? I don't care, but when she's happy.....you get the idea.

In beer, calories come from sugars, proteins/peptides and alcohol. To make a lower calorie beer, you want to start at a lower OG and finished at lower FG to make sure the yeast have utilized a good portion of the sugars and peptides. The lower OG keeps the alcohol down in the finished beer. The mash needs to be such that you breakdown much of the starch to fermentable sugars. The trick is, as indicated by all the commercials for light beers, retaining any flavor.

Dr Malt

Yeah, most of the calories in any beer are from the alcohol. Milds are frequently under 3.5% ABV. Take a look at Orfy's recipes. A little rye malt is good for flavor.

Since ABV and style don't matter just through some grain in some hot water, sparge, and boil with some hops ;) Just tell her it is low cal...

Seriously though, If you can lager, brew a light lager. Helles is awesome and relatively low calorie. Or a blonde lager or American pils if you want to go super light.

I'm having a similar problem with my Dad. He is a Bud light drinker, but he does like my beer. His problem is that he thinks my beers are to heavy, plus he is trying to keep his weight down. So i'm also trying to find a beer that i can brew that will be to his likeing. I fealt like a jerk buying a 6 pack of BL to bring to his house when I have 20 different bottled beers in my basement. I will never drink that Crap again but he still does.

just start bottling your own sparkling water - you could even go all crazy, and add some fruit for flavor.

Since ABV and style don't matter just through some grain in some hot water, sparge, and boil with some hops ;) Just tell her it is low cal...

Seriously though, If you can lager, brew a light lager. Helles is awesome and relatively low calorie. Or a blonde lager or American pils if you want to go super light.

:mug: I brewed a munich helles once and she loved it. Lagering is doable, but a PITA.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/drinkability-isnt-word-154954/

134 calories per pint, according to Beersmith, or 100 calories in a 12 ounce bottle. That's nearly half the calories of most of the beers I make.

:mug:

I will try it! And I Freaking hate those ads too. Actual word or not, who would buy a frigging beer that WAS NOT DRINKABLE??????

"Mmmmm! this is a deal at $5 a sixer, you can't actually drink it though, it's an ornamental beer.";)

I'm having a similar problem with my Dad. He is a Bud light drinker, but he does like my beer. His problem is that he thinks my beers are to heavy, plus he is trying to keep his weight down. So i'm also trying to find a beer that i can brew that will be to his likeing. I fealt like a jerk buying a 6 pack of BL to bring to his house when I have 20 different bottled beers in my basement. I will never drink that Crap again but he still does.

My problem is SWMBO would rather just buy miller. That should be OK with me, but insecure beer snob that I am, it offends me that she is paying money for that stuff.

Nanny State Clone. 1.1% abv, 225 IBUs. No I don't have one. Like has been said, most calories are from the alcohol itself. I think if people are worried about calories in beer, you're better off mixing some damn vodka with water if you want to sip on something with alcohol. Tell her it's super light beer. The whole calorie thing with beer annoys me. If you're wanting to get a buzz, you're just going to have to drink even more since low calorie = low abv, so it ends up being pointless. People can't drink that crap for the taste... (I'm referring to low cal BMC).

Amylase enzyme will help break down any remaining carbs that are left in the beer and get it to finish out to a really low FG. Put some in when you rack to secondary.

Paul B

Yeah........I hated to even post about low cal, who gives a PHUCK? right?;)

But.....well.....I love her.

;)

Hey, hold your head high! I like an occasional light, crisp, yet flavorful beer. Nothing wrong with variety. And with these lighter beers, you need to show care because any off flavors will be apparent - in some ways it's harder to make a good lighter beer than a big hoppier version.

I drink big beers, I just drink less. I too have people that love my beer, but need something a bit lighter for a regular drink. I brew beer for my dad to keep the tap I installed for him flowing and I usually do Schlenkerla's Miller Light Clone. Miller Light sucks, but this stuff is tasty. The OG is around 1034 and the FG is 1000. Amalayse enzyme helps convert some of those non fermentables and brings the FG super low on a beer with an OG that is already very low. This is actually a very good session beer.

BM's Cream of Three Crops is also a real good choice, not quite as light, but a great light sesssion beer. I however boiled off way too much and came out with a 4.5 gallon batch of 6% brew, that is actually real tasty and made me adjust the grain bill to brew it this way every time!

Back