Low Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailrider

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a PA last Friday using Wyeast 1968 London ESB and fermentation has stalled/stopped. All indications of fermentation had ceased by Monday morning. Beersmith calculated the OG to be 1.053 and FG at 1.013. After the wort cooled I used a hydrometer and got 1.058 for an OG and currently the SG is 1.020. Wyeast states 1968 attenuates at 67-71% I got 65%. I’ve used the yeast before without a problem getting 69&70% attenuation. In an effort to rouse the yeast I removed the collection ball from the fast ferment gave it a few gentle swirls and dumped it back into the wort. That effort did not change a thing.

I guess I’m down to two choices. Let it ride as is, bottle it in a week or two and hope it’s not too sweet or pitch a pack Nottingham (it’s on hand) to hopefully bring down the SG. If the Nottingham doesn’t start a new fermentation process will it just fall out of suspension without affecting the taste of the beer?

The following is the recipe info.

Pale malt 45.9%

Munich 26.2%

Maris Otter 17.5%

C80 4.4%

Acid Malt 1.7%

Sugar 4.4%

Mashed at 152….Pitched a 1 L starter into 68f wort...Fermented at 68-70f

Ive had FG problems with 1968 several times. There are several threads with high FG and 1968 currently on the front page. I dont really like using it anymore and have switch away from it, or I mash lower when using it (149). I know some IPA guys use it, and they dont always like getting there stuff real dry. I believe there are better choices. Maybe some alpha amalyse

I'd take 1.020 with 1968, and I would probably just bottle it. I will usually bottle 1.020 and under as long as fermentation has stopped. No issues. Also, attenuation of 65.5% isn't far off from the expected with this yeast especially with all-grain variability.

Thanks for the replies. After some thought I'll settle for the 1.020 and bottle it in a few days. When I use the 1968 next time I'll mash at a lower temp and hope it helps. Thanks again.

Apparently this strain can lead to gushers after bottling. It might be worth keeping it cold once the beer tastes how you want it if you are going to re-ferment in the bottle.

Back