Low 60's fermentation, good enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper9

Reaction score
A few questions on fermenting temperatures for you guys. The spot i'm using for fermenting is in the low 60's - staying between 62 and 65 right now. What i've read for the first batch i'm doing of an amber extract kit says between 60 and 75 so this is in there.

- Does a fluctuation of only about 4 degrees produce many off flavors?

- Would this amber have been better at a higher temperature, or my next kit - a vanilla porter?

- Does temperature only affect the speed of yeast growth and nothing else?

- How well does that "brew belt" device work, looks like it keeps an even 75 degrees in a carboy?

What kind of yeast are you using? I usually keep my fermenter at 60-65 in order to keep the wort between 65-68. 75 seems kind of high to me no matter what kind of yeast you are using. If you have a spot that stays 62 to 65 you should be alright for most ale styles.

don't do a thing. that is the PERFECT Temperature for most ales.

higher temperatures will give more fruity esters.

lower temperatures can slow fermentation or even hault it, but they make a very smooth, clean ale. much better for most styles.

you don't have to worry about stuck fermentation if you just give the carboy a swirl every day or so.

excellent, thanks guys. tasted it today when i tested - improving slowly for sure. getting excited for my next batch!

Back