Love Temp probe issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarJohnson

Reaction score
Looking for ideas on my Love temp probe problems. I am running the classic brutus set up with a stainless tee and thermowell fitting. The Love probes are inserted into the tee and the mash/sparge recirculates. My problem is here in WI in the winter it's been cold even in the garage. My last brew day I had BIG issues with the temp probes. My conclusion is the 0 degree air was throwing off the temp probe readings by cooling the stainless tee. By off I mean off and unusable. The readings were a full 10-12 off of my lab thermo I was checking with. I also use the good old analog thermos attached to the pot as a reference. Long story short any ideas how to insulate the tees better for winter? Anyone use Derrins temp probes with better success. The standard Love thermistor probes seem somewhat cheap to me but what do I know.

I was having problems with my Love temp probe too (no thermowell--different application). I took the probe wires out of the controller and swapped their place, and it seemed to do the trick for me. Maybe I had a bad connection at the box, maybe they do need to be wired a particular way (I have no idea), maybe I was just imagining it, who knows. But, if rewiring them DOES happen to work, it may be worth a shot as it wouldn't cost anything.

I don't think that is it since I used it twice before with minimal problems. The cold is just driving the heat off to quickly I assume. Off to HD to find some kind of insulation I guess.

Back