Love my new immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers said:
Ah geez. We ain't gonna have to group hug now, are we?

Someone always has pickled egg breath...

Sure, why not!

group-hug.jpg

olllllo said:
There is peace.
Nati asked what a troll is.
brewt00l told him.
Orfy maintained that he has thick skin, so fuggeddaboutit.
We all got drunk and pissed on the same tree.
I think you got it backwards, backwards.

??

Yup...no ill will here.:mug:

so we are ending this thread......or are we still going to take cheap shots at each other. by the way rdwj, that picture is very disturbing?????

backwards said:
ah now boys - be nice. nati is coming clean here and you are refusing him back in the community of hops and ales and lagers and whatnot? come on now. i say we embrace like men (and ladies) and get back to beer talk. our lives are too short to worry about feelings and trolls (whatever they are) and all the rest. let us have peace and some talk about growing my own hops.

Doh sorry nati. I haven't looked at this thread lately. I was hoping my initial post wasn't coming through too harsh. I even edited it to make sure. I didn't realize you were making a joke. Anyways, we have had a good deal of tension on the forums lately with people acting up (trolling etc) which has a bunch of us a bit on edge. If you had been around for a while, the comment probably would have been interpreted as a joke but since most of us don't know you it is hard to gauge. But since you have "come clean" :D with your feelings all is well :fro:

big e-hug.

Great big 'atta-boy' to all you guys for sorting this out. Things have been pretty crazy around here and I'm glad this one didn't end in closed threads and banninations.

Thanks guys! As you were...

:rockin:

Chairman Cheyco said:
Could you not have even turned it around? :p

Heh..heh...sorry.

I was caught up in the wild exitement of my first AG brew that day WITH my home made immersion chiller. :cross:

Oh yeah, that is a daguerreotype, not a digital picture. ;)

We no need no stinking technology . . . :cross:

I just busted out my new chiller for the first batch. It kicks major ass!! Took 4 gallons from boiling down to 70°F in 9 minutes! WOOT!!! Between the chiller, auto-siphon, and keg setup... brewing just became much easier and time efficient! I just did a complete batch from start to finish in 90 minutes!

I built my chiller yesterday, went smooth as silk really. I wrapped it around my sanitizing bucket, bent in and output's with a pipe bender and attached compression fittings with garden hose attachments. All in all I spent less, and got more. Now I have a 40' 1/2" chiller and no leaks to speak of. I'm building my mash tun today with part I got yesterday from the plumbing supply place, I hope they work out:rockin:

Dan

When do you guys introduce the chiller to the hot wort? I would think you would want to put it in as soon as you turn the flame off(and its still boiling), this way it Sanitizes it. Right????:mug:

If I am going to start out doing extract brewing do i need a chiller. I read you only put 2 or so Gal. into the boil. A chiller may be over kill???? Also when do you do full 5 gal boils? Thanks

its pretty wild actually... the side open starts shooting out all sorts of steam from the left over water hiding out in the chiller (if you have used it recently that is). Its pretty funny too when you hit the cold water. The wort will be at a rolling boil and the instant the cold water turns on the boil just stops dead. Now that I have one, I don't know how you could stand to brew without it!!!

kingjam said:
Yes but do I need one for extract brewing??

I haven't needed one for the last year, but now that I finally broke down and bought one I can't believe what I was missing. Think about it... it literally removes 30 minutes from your brew time. The only thing that could cut off that much time would be a 200,000 btu propane burner for getting your water up to temp.

kingjam said:
Well that was my first question when do you do full boils. I am new so iam just going to start with an extract ale. I have read that you always just boil 2 gal. then add the rest with cold water. I was going to get this starter set and it comes with a chiller http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer-gs-deluxe-kit.shtml What should I do??

You can do full boils as soon as you have a pot that's at least 7.5 (but 8.5 is much better) and the ability to bring it to a boil. I could do it on my stove before I got a propane burner by setting the pot on two burners.

I chimed in on this topic a while back, singing the praises of counterflow chillers (along with a bunch of other extraneous crap). I may have had a change of heart! Counterflow chillers work really well at chilling wort FAST, but I used an immersion chiller with my last batch, and I think I like it!

It took a little longer than my CFC (mostly because it's a tad short and only 1/4" ID), but I got very little break material in my fermenter. I used whole hops and a perforated stainless hop screen. That combination actually filters the wort a bit like a grain bed. Some argue the virtues of having cold break in the fermenter. I'm sure I got enough cold break into the fermenter to serve as yeast nutrient, but I kept the vast majority of the "miso soup"-ish particles out. The fermentation has been quite healthy. WLP002 English Ale yeast has taken my IPA from 1.078 to 1.022 (and dropping slowly) in one week.

Here's why I really like it: I gave up on saving the yeast from my last batch because there was so much trub and break material that it became frustrating and nearly impossible to separate the yeast out. This time, I got nearly 2L of what appears to be almost entirely yeast! There's a little trub at the bottom, but not much. Here's a pic of my fresh conical harvest:

4688-lotsofyeast.JPG

I bought my immersion chiller just before the last batch and wish I would have bought one sooner. That thing is awesome. I cooled 4.5gallons down in about 10min.

I have an extra large pot, so I just boiled it in hot water while my wort was boiling.

Wow, I have a great immersion chiller and mine took nearly 30 minutes on a full boil to cool to 75 degrees. Not real fast at all, been looking at a CF now because of it.

RedSun said:
Wow, I have a great immersion chiller and mine took nearly 30 minutes...
By "great," what do you mean? Mine took less time than that to cool 15+ gallons of wort, and it's only 25' of 1/4 OD copper. I recirculated ice water through it (40 lbs of ice, until it melted), which helped immensely. It also helps to gently agitate/swirl the chiller during cooling (IMHO, it's necessary).

I have both a 50 ft immersion chiller and a CFC. I pump my beer into the fermenters, and I have my system set up so I can easily use either.

I'm split. I really like the CFC, but the times I have used the immersion chiller, I liked it as well. I do like the concept of less trub, but with the conical, its easy to bleed it off and collect yeast during the secondary.

I thought about selling the immersion chiller, but after reading this thread, I'm commited to keeping it. Its always a great backup too, especially if my CFC goes bad, leaks, or gets clogged.

Biermann said:
I do like the concept of less trub, but with the conical, its easy to bleed it off and collect yeast during the secondary.
I find that the trub and yeast collect as one big mass at the bottom of the conical, so if I can eliminate a bit of trub, it makes the yeast harvest easier.

Back