Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indian Summer today
IMG_20221007_134742.jpg
IMG_20221007_141028.jpg
IMG_20221007_130545.jpg
IMG_20221007_132806.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_130545.jpg
    IMG_20221007_130545.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221007_132806.jpg
    IMG_20221007_132806.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Wow! I'm jealous. Always wanted to try one of those hickory shaft tournaments. Plus Fife? I came close to renting a holiday house on the coast. One day.

Back to my home course after the 1 o'clock football game. Felt guilty with the nice weather outside. low 60's during the day and 30's at night.

Good thing is most of the members must be watching the games as the afternoon is wide open. Played the back nine without running into anyone. Played like poop but ....
IMG_20221009_172753.jpg
IMG_20221009_172226.jpg
IMG_20221009_172232.jpg
IMG_20221009_171739.jpg

Teed off at 7:30 AM. Was chilly by SoCal standards (~40 deg), but once that sun came up it was perfect golf weather in the 50s.
Been really chilly here on the West Coast of Florida. 60s daytime. Brrrrrā€¦

Of course I ā€œforgotā€ to bring my sticks along on this trip. {meaning: ā€œson-in-law is scratch golfer and shows no mercy on my aging ass.ā€}

Been really chilly here on the West Coast of Florida. 60s daytime. Brrrrrā€¦

Of course I ā€œforgotā€ to bring my sticks along on this trip. {meaning: ā€œson-in-law is scratch golfer and shows no mercy on my aging ass.ā€}
Mornings have been cool, but it's been hitting upper 70's later in the day. I hit a round yesterday afternoon, got a bit sweaty out there actually (I was walking). I played last two holes in the dark with my nifty lighted balls.

I did the math and "joined" a local golf club here (more like a one-year contract, no initiation fee). At this course, open to the public, playing four rounds a month as a non-member costs as much as unlimited golf, cart and range balls as a member. So my plan is to play something like three times a week instead of three times a month.

But I didn't brave the thunderstorms today. Tomorrow there is about a 25% chance of rain and an 85% chance of golf.

... and, snuck one more round in tonight with the boys. Chilly in FL tonight, had to put the pants on.

View attachment 808593

Should be beautiful golf weather here this weekend. 76 tomorrow and 80 on Sunday. Wonder if I should try to squeeze in a round?

Wife: Do you want to die?

Guess I'm not playing...

I'm supposed to play Wednesday. Looks like rain, so I made another tee time for the morning of Sat for NYE, and was looking at one for Mon Jan 2. Ideally I'd play all three.

And of course the forecast now looks like rain all the way from Tuesday the 27th through Mon Jan 2.

... and, snuck one more round in tonight with the boys. Chilly in FL tonight, had to put the pants on.

View attachment 808593
Heard there was a freeze warning got Tampa. We left St. Pete to rendezvous with family from the DC area in Orlando for a week of sun & fun in ā€˜warmā€™ Florida. Five grandkids all bummed out that none of the adults want to go to the attractions and fight the cold, though actually itā€™s the wind thatā€™s making outdoors less inviting.

Should warm up in a week, just when everyone is heading home.

Heard there was a freeze warning got Tampa. We left St. Pete to rendezvous with family from the DC area in Orlando for a week of sun & fun in ā€˜warmā€™ Florida. Five grandkids all bummed out that none of the adults want to go to the attractions and fight the cold, though actually itā€™s the wind thatā€™s making outdoors less inviting.

Should warm up in a week, just when everyone is heading home.

As you know, we don't get many cold weeks like this down here. I feel sorry for tourists who time their getaway during a week like this. Well, it's only a few days then back into the 60's/70's. I just got back from the dog park and it's nice out right now, at least in the sun it is. Passed a golf course along the way, wouldn't mind getting one more in before xmas :)

1671906455720.png

Yes we are feeling it today! I love the change, most Christmas days are 73 to 80 degrees. But not this year! Hope you can squeeze in a round before tomorrow Andrew!

John

Will admit I did not read all the posts, but gotta chime in. Golf to me is a great way to get out of the house for at least 5 hours (that is about how good my game is) and enjoy the peace and quiet. I completely suck at it, handicap is somewhere in the mid 20's I think, but I love the game. I have played Harding Park in San Francisco a number of times. Pricey but a beautiful course. Also played a course called Wente Vinyards, again pricey but it runs thru the hills and is a spectacular course. My best day of golf was when my son and I played during a trip to Idaho. We both had a blast and I will remember that one for the rest of my life. Also, any game that allows you to drink beer and play at the same time is a keeper to me. LOL.

Anyway, just thought I would add my two cents and that is really all it is worth. LOL.

Match play makes more sense at our course in this season, since a slightly errant tee shot almost guarantees the ball is under a big pile of leaves. Of course, that's not much of a problem for the guys that can keep it in the fairway.

I'm playing a fancy course this coming weekend and I thought I'd polish up my clubs. Bench grinder, polishing compound on buffing wheels. Also hit the face with a sand blaster (80 grit) to re-texture the face - feels like an emory board now. Woot! For you handy guys with no golf this winter, might be a good time to clean up the irons.

1673912030849.png
1673912069567.png

Haha, I have no idea. First time I've done the sandblasting and I like it. I just bought an old set of Wilson Reflex irons that I'm going to refinish (polish, sandblast, grips). I'm going to do those as soon as they show up.
I had a roommate about 20 years ago that built a sandblasting rig, so I sandblasted a design matching my tattoo onto a glass liter beer stein. Fun project. Haven't messed with sandblasting since.

Looking at the picture, is there still sand embedded into the clubface? It'll be interesting to see what it looks like after you've hit some balls.

I had a roommate about 20 years ago that built a sandblasting rig, so I sandblasted a design matching my tattoo onto a glass liter beer stein. Fun project. Haven't messed with sandblasting since.

Looking at the picture, is there still sand embedded into the clubface? It'll be interesting to see what it looks like after you've hit some balls.

No, there's no sand embedded there. That's not going to happen with SS. I'll probably get out tomorrow and hit a round, or at least driving range, I'll let you know. I'm interested as well.

Bought an old (1970's!) set of irons on ebay this week. The face of the club has a slot cut behind it - Wilson claims some magic there, we'll see. Will be cleaning these up this wkend (polish, sandblast face, fill paint, new grips). I swung them a bit in the front yard and they felt really good.
1674349426761.png

Back