Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good that you're getting out there. That's the important thing.

My short game was great, and my putting was epic (really!, but when you play alone, epic isn't really a thing). Driving was hit or miss. Good day overall.

I'm happy with the way my swing has been progressing, but I've got to develop a plan to improve my chipping and putting. Playing several times a week is not really an option right now (that would help!) and there are no really good practice facilities around here.

But at the very least I could work on my putting stroke. I may have to research which training aids are out there and buy a putting mat or something to get comfortable with my alignment and stroke. And play slightly more often.

I'm happy with the way my swing has been progressing, but I've got to develop a plan to improve my chipping and putting. Playing several times a week is not really an option right now (that would help!) and there are no really good practice facilities around here.

But at the very least I could work on my putting stroke. I may have to research which training aids are out there and buy a putting mat or something to get comfortable with my alignment and stroke. And play slightly more often.

Driving range? Most of them have chipping and putting areas. Even putt-putt / miniature golf would be good.

My putting changed dramatically when I went to a compact stroke. Elbows almost against my body, lean out directly over the putter, looking right down at it. Choke up a bit.

The other thing I did was mental. I square up the putter to the ball, but when I putt I don't think about hitting the ball - I think about stroking perfectly at the flag (or wherever my aim is). Might seem obvious, but doing that has greatly improved my accuracy.

Also, as I've mentioned before, I got one of those chipper/putters and it's deadly accurate from inside 25 yards, when in short grass / fringe around the greens.

Driving range? Most of them have chipping and putting areas.

The course I usually play has a small practice green but it's not really designed for chipping, and it's fairly flat, unlike the greens on the course itself. I could work on my putting stroke there, but since it's 30 miles round trip (and not a great place to practice) I may just shop around for a putting mat to use at home.

What I really need to do is go out on the course by myself and putt/chip extra balls but that's an expensive way to practice.

Also, as I've mentioned before, I got one of those chipper/putters and it's deadly accurate from inside 25 yards, when in short grass / fringe around the greens.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a chipper/putter, but I've been using my 4 hybrid in those situations. Choke waaay up on it (left hand on the very bottom of the grip, right hand on the shaft) and use a putting stroke. Feels like cheating but gets me close to the hole every time.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a chipper/putter, but I've been using my 4 hybrid in those situations. Choke waaay up on it (left hand on the very bottom of the grip, right hand on the shaft) and use a putting stroke. Feels like cheating but gets me close to the hole every time.

These clubs are relatively cheap. Just get one and try it out. The KEY to accuracy is to swing it just like your putter.

At 1:46 in this video, Tiger chipped up with a 3-wood, so you may be on to something.

Shark Mouth. That's what they call this hole at Dunedin Golf Club. Monstrous bunker wraps the front of 145y par 3. Raised bunker, with trees right behind the hole. It's a doozy.

I leaned back and launched one skyward, hoping to stick it to the green. I hit right of the flag and spun off into another bunker on the right of green. This is my neighbor getting ready to hit.

1643673560280.png

That was nuts.

18F here. Heading to a simulator to get some swings in ahead of out annual trip to Pinehurst later this month.
Our former next door neighbors (for 30 years) recently built and moved into their "forever" house. He, an avid golfer, specified a portion of the basement concrete pour to allow for a 10' ceiling, and installed a golf simulator. So, on a recent visit he had to show me his new toy and I got to hit a few. I've only played twice in the past 2 ½ years after rehabbing a torn rotator cuff (after drubbing a 4-iron), so I was taking it gently. Pitching short irons was very comfortable, so I tried a few full swings.

I hadn't used an indoor simulator since I got fitted for custom clubs over five years ago. I was truly amazed at how far simulations have advanced. The system recorded club head speed, spin rate, fade/draw, ball flight apex and distance, etc. Everything the fitting pro had at his disposal. There were also several courses in the data base that could be played, though Augusta National still isn't available (copywrited by the club apparently). It was a lot of fun on a cold January evening. The only weaknesses were any realism to setting up a putt, and the fact that every shot had a perfect lie on the mat, although the simulation compensated for rough or sand and appeared to alter the resultant ball flight based on the swing. All in all, it was a fairly accurate approximation of golf.

Last edited:
All the freshwater down here has gators. I ride my bike during the day hours and I often see several just on the neighborhood ponds nearby. Even the smallest ponds usually have one, and at this time of year there might be two (sexy time for gators right now). If you're down here during the winter, no worries, they don't move much and certainly are not hostile. But in the spring, when they are mating, it's best to give them wide berth. However, it's HIGHLY unlikely that you'd be attacked by a gator in the water - probably better chance of getting sucked out of a Southwest jet. When they are on land, a place where they are more vulnerable, they might become threatened if you get too close.

Courses have them everywhere, but I've never seen one become aggressive. Get near and they just slip back into the water. Here's one of my boys and I at Eagles golf course last April. There were a bunch of balls in the shallow water in there and he wanted to go get them - I talked him out of it :)

Reminds me of a time more than 40 years ago, SWMBO'd and I met up with her sister and brother-in-law early in March for a golf trip to Myrtle Beach and Wilmington. We played18-36 holes everyday, had a blast. I remember one hole vividly. It was a long Par 4 with lateral water on one side tee to green. Our tee shots were all safely in the middle, but as we approached it was clear that a random "log" beside the water was actually a gator. There were also random pine cones. My BIL, being a Midwesterner who'd never seen an alligator outside of a zoo, chipped a pine cone with a sand wedge that bonked the slumbering, suntanning gator right between the eyes. Mr. Gator was NOT amused. Fortunately he only hissed, opened his jaws and made a few quick threatening steps in our direction, but didn't actually attack.

Message received, lesson learned. Don't tease the animals. Remind me to regale you with my story of a memorable round golf at the Fairmont Banff Springs in Alberta, Canada, during the autumn elk rut. Drop, clean and place was allowed without penalty, with "clean" being the operative term. And watch your step. Just sayin', those horny bastards can be mean!

Last edited:
Our former next door neighbors (for 30 years) recently built and moved into their "forever" house. He, an avid golfer, specified a portion of the basement concrete pour to allow for a 10" ceiling, and installed a golf simulator. So, on a recent visit he had to show me his new toy and I got to hit a few. I've only played twice in the past 2 ½ years after rehabbing a torn rotator cuff (after drubbing a 4-iron), so I was taking it gently. Pitching short irons was very comfortable, so I tried a few full swings.

I hadn't used an indoor simulator since I got fitted for custom clubs over five years ago. I was truly amazed at how far simulations have advanced. The system recorded club head speed, spin rate, fade/draw, ball flight apex and distance, etc. Everything the fitting pro had at his disposal. There were also several courses in the data base that could be played, though Augusta National still isn't available (copywrited by the club apparently). It was a lot of fun on a cold January evening. The only weaknesses were any realism to setting up a putt, and the fact that every shot had a perfect lie on the mat, although the simulation compensated for rough or sand and appeared to alter the resultant ball flight based on the swing. All in all, it was a fairly accurate approximation of golf.

That's the dream. A golf simulator AND a brewery in our homes!

The downside of SoCal cost of living is that we don't have anywhere near enough space anywhere to have a golf simulator in the house...

...the upside is that it's gonna be 80 and sunny today.

Right. With very inexpensive golf courses all around me, and year-round mild weather, I wouldn't use a sim (well, that's a lie, I'd have fun with it for a bit I'm sure).

Though, we had a rare overnight freeze a week ago. Turned all the grass brown. First freeze we've had in several years. Here's a pic from my round Sunday (played 3 times last week :) ). Looks pretty scrubby, I know.

1644340813775.png

That's the dream. A golf simulator AND a brewery in our homes!
I never could get my next door neighbor interested in my brewing prowess, but he and his wife did enjoy my wine that we'd often share with them. He recently retired and sold his business, so they weren't hurting for $$$ and went LARGE on their new house. Very well designed and thought out with features planned for those of us of a certain age, yet still appealing to younger buyers when it comes time to sell some day. They also made a killing on their old house, which of course got SWMBO'd and me to start thinking. Hhmmm....

Shortly after we visited, their daughter and her husband came for the weekend. His daughter was a college athlete, though not a golfer. Apparently she really shanked a shot that entirely missed the capture netting and left a ball embedded in the drywall. I told him to leave it as a reminder to what happens when you hood the club face and swing flat off-plane. Oooops.

The downside of SoCal cost of living is that we don't have anywhere near enough space anywhere to have a golf simulator in the house...

...the upside is that it's gonna be 80 and sunny today.
OUCH! It was near single-digits here this morning. But it might get up to 40F tomorrow. We leave for Florida in three weeks if the workmen ever finish the bathroom rehab. Not planning on returning until the permafrost thaws. I'd take my sticks, but my son-in-law is a +3 handicap.

So, for the first time since I've taken the game back up, my front nine number was under 40. Back nine was terrible, but hey, I was glad to string a few good holes together. It helped that I played the first four holes 2 under, before bogeying 5,6,8 and 9. (We don't have to get into the details of which holes on the back nine I double and tripled).

The little 15 and 20 chips shots I've been practicing in the backyard have not been helping my short game (yet), but I think it's helping my full swing, working more as a drill for balance and rhythm. Not to say I didn't have more than my share of dumb luck today starting out. But luck counts too, as they say.

So, for the first time since I've taken the game back up, my front nine number was under 40. Back nine was terrible, but hey, I was glad to string a few good holes together. It helped that I played the first four holes 2 under, before bogeying 5,6,8 and 9. (We don't have to get into the details of which holes on the back nine I double and tripled).

The little 15 and 20 chips shots I've been practicing in the backyard have not been helping my short game (yet), but I think it's helping my full swing, working more as a drill for balance and rhythm. Not to say I didn't have more than my share of dumb luck today starting out. But luck counts too, as they say.

Luck does count!

A few years ago, I hit an iron at the green, 130y away. Terrible shot - landed on the WRONG green - oof! The two guys I was playing with congratulated me on the great shot, though. Turns out, I was actually shooting for the wrong green, and my bad shot found the right green. Man I'm a bad golfer.

Luck does count!

A few years ago, I hit an iron at the green, 130y away. Terrible shot - landed on the WRONG green - oof! The two guys I was playing with congratulated me on the great shot, though. Turns out, I was actually shooting for the wrong green, and my bad shot found the right green. Man I'm a bad golfer.

Great story!

Decades ago, Hale Irwin (if memory serves) was in a sudden death playoff. I can't remember who he was playing against, but the guy hit a terrible shot on a par 3. It was headed out of bounds until it hit an out of bounds stake and the ball rebounded onto the green. He made the putt, won the playoff, and pulled up the out of bounds stake to keep for a souvenir.

Someone overheard Hale Irwin mumbling "I'll tell him what he can do with that out of bounds stake.

So, I've been wanting to walk the course, but everybody around here rides. I thought that it would be a hassle, constantly letting groups play through or having to hurry down the fairways. That's wasn't the case at all.

I arrived at the course at 8 am this morning. There were no cars in the lot. The starter was surprised that I wanted to walk, but added that it shouldn't be a problem, because no one shows up until around 9 am. I had a blast. It was like having my own private course. I went around in 3 hours 20 minutes and never rushed a shot, like a usually do in a foursome. It definitely helped my short game.

And, of course, it's not bad exercise, especially if you carry your bag. I may have to break down and get a hand cart, just haven't decided yet.

I much prefer to walk. However, I bought a push cart instead of carrying. I'm too old for that crap, and a bag gets really heavy when you're sneaking beer onto the course :bigmug:

Unless I play the exec course, that is, where I've got an ultralight Sunday bag and I only carry a few clubs.

The exercise is good, I feel less rushed, and I never have to deal with "cart path only", either the entire course or just certain holes. I REALLY detest playing cart path only golf.

I walk nearly all my rounds. I find it more enjoyable. When I ride I feel like I'm just zipping from shot to shot.

I recently got one of those remote push carts. I've only used it 3 or 4 times, but its been wonderful so far.
I haven't golfed since early 2008 (Bonneville in Salt Lake City) but when I did, I'd usually go in the evening after work and try to squeeze in 18. So a cart was definitely in order just to finish before sunset.
Lately my knees would drive the same behavior :(.

I played Sunday and I was hanging on... I was "even bogey" through 12 holes, i.e. +12 at that point, which for a HDCP of just under 20, is about okay. I'd had nothing worse than a double bogey, and even had a birdie on my card. I then made a 10 on #13 (par 4), and a 6 on #14 (par 3), both times because it took 4, and 3, shots to get out of bunkers, respectively.

That right there completely shot the round. I played the last 4 holes in a total of +5 strokes relative to par, so only one over bogey golf, but the damage was done...

I made a practice bunker in my backyard, but I haven't used it much yet. (I had sand left over from a job, not the perfect consistency, but close enough). The course I play on the most doesn't have bunkers, and it's my chipping that I'm obsessively practicing, although right now I need for the rain to stop.

EDIT: I'm changing my technique to something similar to what these guys are demonstrating. It doesn't happen overnight, at least not for me.

Or this:

Last edited:
Back