Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20180325_140636.jpg

I am an avid golfer as many of you know. Going out this morning in south Florida actually. Will send some pictures. I was just about to start a golf thread so I am glad to find this one started by pp none the less. I shoot in the 70s and it would be stupid embarrassing to tell how. I am better than that some days and should be in the 60s but being really great at this game i fear isnt in my cards. In fact even though i have shot even par to many times to recall i wonder who will show up today, the guy who shoots 74 or the guy who shoots 84. Self taught, i have flaws and compensations, but also muscle memory. I try to rely on that. I hurt my back chasing my dreams and wish I wouldnt have. Mongoose has offered a lot of awesome info here. I have to run now but was hoping to offer some help to anyones swing.

Wildginger it sounds like breaking 100 has become a thing, much like breaking 70 to me. Careful to not set to big a goal like that as it can make the game difficult as you get close. More on that later

Last edited:
So how many times a week do you play 'scrap? Golf is interesting. The better you get, the more you find out how much you s*ck. I like it for the mental challenge and detaching from the outside world for a couple hours with a good view. For me I'm usually in the low 80's and venture into the 70's every so often. I almost broke 70 once. Had a chance with a par-5 #18 that I usually birdie or eagle. Crushed a good drive and landed in a bad lie. Went for broke with a 3d because I'd never be there again and wound up with a bogie 71.

71 is still damn good. I used to play every day after work and i went one stretch where i was hitting 3 to 5 hundred balls a day. Really all i was doing was solidifing bad habits and hurting my back. Jealous really of some of you just starting out, you can learn the right way and save your back. I said it would be embarrassing to explain some of the dues i have paid to this game and some of that is above. Now I just hope to have fun.

Doesn't matter how many balls you hit , because how you hit them on the course is really all that matters. And that has a lot to do with being in a good mental state. Also putting is just huge. A lot of the players that I see that have way more Talent than me seem to lose Strokes because of Direction. It's better to top the ball straight then it is to hit it good way offline. Second place is in the short game. I putt from everywhere and dont mind when people make comments about how they hit wedges or i should. My worst putt is usually better than an ok wedge.

Shot 77 today on the saints course in port st lucie. I putted really well. Had a few three putts but cant complain because i sank so many prayers. It was pretty much my best game today. I get really mad when I miss hit a driver. But I'm learning that I should actually be mad when I miss a 3-foot putt. It seems like I'm happy to hit a good drive and a good shot on the Green but need to be more upset about putting. I hope i can help someone, anyone if wanted and look forward to more golf chat.
20180326_072744.jpg
20180326_072747.jpg
20180326_072841.jpg
20180326_072926.jpg

^^ Looks like they need to water that grass! Hope you get some good weather down there, scrappy. Been really nice here in Clearwater lately. One of the nicest courses I ever played on is on that coast, north of Daytona called Hammock Dunes. Family and I stayed in the resort, really nice place. Too nice for my level of play :)

71 is still damn good. I used to play every day after work and i went one stretch where i was hitting 3 to 5 hundred balls a day. Really all i was doing was solidifing bad habits and hurting my back. Jealous really of some of you just starting out, you can learn the right way and save your back. I said it would be embarrassing to explain some of the dues i have paid to this game and some of that is above. Now I just hope to have fun.

Doesn't matter how many balls you hit , because how you hit them on the course is really all that matters. And that has a lot to do with being in a good mental state. Also putting is just huge. A lot of the players that I see that have way more Talent than me seem to lose Strokes because of Direction. It's better to top the ball straight then it is to hit it good way offline. Second place is in the short game. I putt from everywhere and dont mind when people make comments about how they hit wedges or i should. My worst putt is usually better than an ok wedge.

Shot 77 today on the saints course in port st lucie. I putted really well. Had a few three putts but cant complain because i sank so many prayers. It was pretty much my best game today. I get really mad when I miss hit a driver. But I'm learning that I should actually be mad when I miss a 3-foot putt. It seems like I'm happy to hit a good drive and a good shot on the Green but need to be more upset about putting. I hope i can help someone, anyone if wanted and look forward to more golf chat. View attachment 563771View attachment 563772View attachment 563773View attachment 563774
I see why you're missing putts. The greens are upside down! :)

I've about decided that I'm not good enough to get mad. Some days I putt like great and others it is just horrible. Putting a full round together is the hardest thing but I really love playing. My biggest fear is that I will eventually quit getting better and no longer enjoy it. I'm hoping to play long into retirement and that's still 15 years away.

I'm getting myself ready to go to the Masters for my second year in a row (as a spectator..you would be amazed at how many people ask if I played in it when I wear my Masters hat...). I was fortunate enough to get tickets to the Thursday round this year! That place is truly magical.

TL;DR

I have plenty of time to play but I have been fighting chronic back spasms for the last 6 or 7 years so I'm lucky to play a round in a summer. I used to date a girl who's stepdad was a semi-pro golfer. The only lesson he ever gave me that stuck was when he said 'the money is won within 100 yards', so thats what I practiced and developed a lethal short game! My claim to fame was back in 2013, I was working at Omaha Country Club (host of the Senior PGA Tour championship that year) and as an employee I got a free round every Monday. With the course cut to full tournament specs, I shot an even par on the back 9 and was rightfully upset about it. My dad was with me this day and couldn't help but laugh as I left 8 birdie putts an inch short and triple putted an eagle attempt! It was an unforgettable 9 holes and I still wish even one of them dropped for a birdie lol.

One of the notoriously uptight members watched me play 2 holes at tour level and was so impressed he bought me a beer in the locker room the following day while I was on the clock. My co-workers, manager included, stood with their jaws on the floor and watched as he had a full conversation with me, something he hasn't done with ANY employee and select few members in the 10 years he was at the club. He gave me sh*t about my hand-me-down cheap, circa 1970's clubs (I legitimately had wooden woods and those cheap irons with the green handles lol), I shook it off and said something along the lines of 'they're pieces of crap, but they're MY pieces of crap.' He smirked, said 'not anymore', and GAVE me his 'old' clubs since he was upgrading..I about fainted. I'll never forget that day. Ever. I learned two very valuable things that summer: never judge a book by its cover, sometimes just because a person is quiet does not mean they're unfriendly and that the money is in fact won within 100 yards.

Sorry for my rant, I still enjoy thinking of that day and sharing the story for some reason. Cheers!

I'm getting myself ready to go to the Masters for my second year in a row (as a spectator..you would be amazed at how many people ask if I played in it when I wear my Masters hat...). I was fortunate enough to get tickets to the Thursday round this year! That place is truly magical.

TL;DR

I have plenty of time to play but I have been fighting chronic back spasms for the last 6 or 7 years so I'm lucky to play a round in a summer. I used to date a girl who's stepdad was a semi-pro golfer. The only lesson he ever gave me that stuck was when he said 'the money is won within 100 yards', so thats what I practiced and developed a lethal short game! My claim to fame was back in 2013, I was working at Omaha Country Club (host of the Senior PGA Tour championship that year) and as an employee I got a free round every Monday. With the course cut to full tournament specs, I shot an even par on the back 9 and was rightfully upset about it. My dad was with me this day and couldn't help but laugh as I left 8 birdie putts an inch short and triple putted an eagle attempt! It was an unforgettable 9 holes and I still wish even one of them dropped for a birdie lol.

One of the notoriously uptight members watched me play 2 holes at tour level and was so impressed he bought me a beer in the locker room the following day while I was on the clock. My co-workers, manager included, stood with their jaws on the floor and watched as he had a full conversation with me, something he hasn't done with ANY employee and select few members in the 10 years he was at the club. He gave me sh*t about my hand-me-down cheap, circa 1970's clubs (I legitimately had wooden woods and those cheap irons with the green handles lol), I shook it off and said something along the lines of 'they're pieces of crap, but they're MY pieces of crap.' He smirked, said 'not anymore', and GAVE me his 'old' clubs since he was upgrading..I about fainted. I'll never forget that day. Ever. I learned two very valuable things that summer: never judge a book by its cover, sometimes just because a person is quiet does not mean they're unfriendly and that the money is in fact won within 100 yards.

Sorry for my rant, I still enjoy thinking of that day and sharing the story for some reason. Cheers!
Cool story!

I see why you're missing putts. The greens are upside down! :)

I've about decided that I'm not good enough to get mad. Some days I putt like great and others it is just horrible. Putting a full round together is the hardest thing but I really love playing. My biggest fear is that I will eventually quit getting better and no longer enjoy it. I'm hoping to play long into retirement and that's still 15 years away.

Sorry about the pics. I have to take them sideways or they post upside down with new app. This is the answer to anyones anger and the game in general. You play it your whole life, its not about the next shot, the next round, or next year.

^^ Looks like they need to water that grass! Hope you get some good weather down there, scrappy. Been really nice here in Clearwater lately. One of the nicest courses I ever played on is on that coast, north of Daytona called Hammock Dunes. Family and I stayed in the resort, really nice place. Too nice for my level of play :)
Thanks for the good vibes, it has been windy the last few days. We need that Clearwater sunshine and those luscious white beaches. Reminds me to go look for some sunshine city ipa. Need to get up there to hammock dunes some day, sounds awesome. We are playing hammock creek as a coincidence. I agree about the water, some of the courses are pretty rough and they arent cheap either. Great excuse for the foot wedge from bad lies[emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87] [emoji41]

I belong to a golf course with 36 holes I play to a 9.4 constantly shoot 80-84 been playing golf for 42 years started when I was 10 played HS golf no college and got married and and had kids so I would only go out 10-12 rounds per year. now that the kids are grown i play 1-2 times a week. more during the season. I love the game.

It's like Christmas Eve....

I don't like it when CBS has coverage of any golf tournament. IMO they just don't understand that golfers want to watch it live nor do they realize we don't want to watch a 20 minute discussion about the "tradition" of the masters. At least I don't. I want to see it as it happens and I don't want to watch old, wealthy white men talk about "traditions".

NBC is just a little better except they always insist on showing me a "sports recap" about things I'm not watching. Golf channel should be the only people allowed to carry a tournament IMO.

Done with the rant, will watch on the internet. At least I have that. DTV coverage doesn't start until 12pm Pacific time which is 6 1/2 hours after the tournament started.

I play. Used to play quite a bit; but, then I moved to Alaska and later on Montana so the season is pretty abbreviated and it has taken a toll on my handicap. Lowest round in my books is a 74. Usually shoot high 70's - low 80's.

Towards the end of the season I'm usually back to normal form; but, there's no telling what you'll get on those first few rounds after the snow melts. I also travel fairly regularly with work and have played in Korea, Vietnam, and The Philippines. I really enjoy the course we play in Ho Chi Minh City.

Looking forward to seeing this year's Masters unfold. It always gets me itching to get back on the course.

I don't like it when CBS has coverage of any golf tournament. IMO they just don't understand that golfers want to watch it live nor do they realize we don't want to watch a 20 minute discussion about the "tradition" of the masters. At least I don't. I want to see it as it happens and I don't want to watch old, wealthy white men talk about "traditions".

NBC is just a little better except they always insist on showing me a "sports recap" about things I'm not watching. Golf channel should be the only people allowed to carry a tournament IMO.

Done with the rant, will watch on the internet. At least I have that. DTV coverage doesn't start until 12pm Pacific time which is 6 1/2 hours after the tournament started.

Yep, internet is the way to go. I have 3 screens on my messy desk here, and two of them are dedicated to the tourney: Live groups on left, leaderboard on right. The leaderboard is neat because you can star players and they stay at the top, and clicking on one of them let's you see their activity on the course so far.

upload_2018-4-5_13-5-0.png

I haven't played in a long time, but I have been thinking about playign more this summer. But first I'm gonna get a set of better clubs. Gonna find the kind with tiny nubs just so my irons aren't always flying off the back swing

Thanks pp, loved the video. Clever point too. I got this really cool book on the history of the masters for Christmas a while back, really want to read it. I liked watching golf in europe and mexico. I feel the american coverage only shows the top players, playing great. I want to see the guys who shoot 12 over playing. I want to see everyones shots, not just the guys playing the best in their lives.

I did it, i hurt myself. 3 rounds in one week in Florida did me in. Cant play this week and peobably next week to. Right leg is numb, aggravating constant pain. An inability to walk very far without numbness and pain. Pretty sure exact same injury as tiger, nick watney, and every one else. The huge difference is they actually got paid and are rich and i am just hurt. Hit a few 300 yarders down there, i needed to lighten up.

What do you think of Reed? Haha, what a great story. Cant wait to watch some today.

I dont have cable so i have to choose what i watch from roku. I like the old shell wwog. Getting to see how the round progresses is cool to me. I also watch trackman protracer compilation videos.

After golfing with fil i noticed his poor bunker play and forgot to give him some tips. Might as well share here too. First relax. Its just another shot. Good way to do this is kind of hop in and get comfortable. Second i see blades way to shut. Michael breed one of the best teachers in the world and oe of my favorite, i saw once say open the blade untill edge is pointed at left foot. Open the blade up, a lot, and turn body left to account for it. Get some weight on the front make a few motions and go. I quick little match strike. Weight on the front and pop. On rock hard gravel traps like our cheaper munis get, you will then play more of the blade. Thoughts, questions welcome?

Last edited:
What do you think of Reed? Haha, what a great story. Cant wait to watch some today.

I dont have cable so i have to choose what i watch from roku. I like the old shell wwog. Getting to see how the round progresses is cool to me. I also watch trackman protracer compilation videos.

After golfing with fil i noticed his poor bunker play and forgot to give him some tips. Might as well share here too. First relax. Its just another shot. Good way to do this is kind of hop in and get comfortable. Second i see blades way to shut. Michael breed one of the best teachers in the world and oe of my favorite, i saw once say open the blade untill edge is pointed at left foot. Open the blade up, a lot, and turn body left to account for it. Get some weight on the front make a few motions and go. I quick little match strike. Weight on the front and pop. On rock hard gravel traps like our cheaper munis get, you will then play more of the blade. Thoughts, questions welcome?

Did you see Li blade it out of the bunker yesterday? Flew the green and went into the next fairway. Glad to see these guys on the pro tour are human.

It does happen. I go to the pga event up here in Norton every year. Back when Tiger was at his peak I saw him blade a sandwedge into the woods on my favorite hole. The only thing that saved him was a tv van which it hit and rolled under settling in a rocky lie. They had to wait a while for someone with keys to move the van. I looked at the lie surrounded by rocks and was like "that's the kind of lie I'm use to" He then got it on the green to salvage a double bogie.

Then last year Jon Rahm,on the same hole, bladed out of the sand trap and over the green into thick rough with the pin set close to him. No one made it up and down from that side even with a good lie. He lines up flop shots it and lightly lands on the green and into the hole for birdie. I turn to my buddy "I quit!"

Saw Mickelson do it last week in Houston. That was pretty much my bunker thought all day, if phil leaves one in the bunker what in the hell should i be disappointed about if i do. Havent watched golf in a while. What a treat today. Look forward to the finish.

Pretty cool dude, how good are those short games. I have heard pretty solid. Awesome you have been, i went to one once at the castle pines invitational. That course is pretty sweet. Followed some no namers because couldnt see with big crowds. Have missed the events at cherry hills which is close.

Side note there is a huge music fest on overland park golf course. Stevie wonder and cant remember who else. The grand doozy they are calling it. Overland was built in 1895 i think. It is flat and easy to play. Its one of the older courses west of the Mississippi if i am correct. Donald ross designed the another city course close to overland called wellshire. They used to play a colorado pro tournament there. Ben hogan played it. Used to have more bigger trees but for 35 walking on saturday and 27 weekdays, it is pleasant.

Last edited:
Making golf my *****!!! Went out Friday and shot my best 9 ever on the front with a 44! Fell apart on the back but still ended with a 99.

Went out Saturday, same course, and shot a 43 on the front!!!! The back was pretty good too until I got to the the 14th where we got into a small altercation with a couple of drunk dickbags. Got my adrenaline pumping and changed my game. Ended up with a 50 on the back for my best ever 93!!!! In reality though, minus the altercation, I should’ve shot 90. So friggin happy! It was insane. Taking some clients on a golf weekend in 5 days. Really tough course. Cant wait to see how I shoot. Lajitas in FAR south Texas. Black Jack Crossing. Should be awesome!

I think the mental aspect of golf is fun. Keeping your emotions in check. Mental view of positivity and recovery. Physical altercations is never good :) There's all kind of things that gets your adrenaline going. There's time when you're at the range practicing and scared at how bad your day is going to be and finish with one of your best rounds because you concentrate on the basics and keep your expectations low. Other times you've been striping the ball at the range all week and can't wait to play a round and walk off the 18th ghost faced because you can't believe how bad you played and can't understand what went wrong. In the end you never know what you'll pull out of yourself when you hit the first tee.

As I'm watching the news now there's snow falling down in the western part of the state but I was lucky enough to get 2 beautiful 60 degree sunny days on the eastern side of the state. Had a great time

The back was pretty good too until I got to the the 14th where we got into a small altercation with a couple of drunk dickbags.!

Details required on the drunk dickbags! What happened?
I've mentally given up on golf. I never improve. I play to be outside and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes I don't even keep score. Breaking 100 for 18 is a happy day. At least I keep up with the flow of traffic, but have never encountered drunken dickbags....:p

Details required on the drunk dickbags! What happened?
I've mentally given up on golf. I never improve. I play to be outside and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes I don't even keep score. Breaking 100 for 18 is a happy day. At least I keep up with the flow of traffic, but have never encountered drunken dickbags....:p
Sure thing...It had a been a pretty slow day (pace wise) and we did a lot of waiting. We come up to the tee box on 14, a nice par 3, and the group in front of us had apparently given up and left, so the box was open. We tee off, drive up to the green and there's a guy (we'll call him dooshbag) "hidden" behind the bunker on the left, just whacking balls into the bunker. I apologize that we didn't see him and ask if he was even playing this hole. He says "no, I'm supposed to be on 15" and points to the next hole, where another guy is waiting on the tee box. My buddy and I decide that these two guys are jumping holes because it's a slow day and also decide that we will just scoot on by them when we get there. Now, I'm not a confrontational guy. I don't like confrontation. I haven't been in a fight since I was in 3rd grade (40 or so years ago) and had/have no intentions of getting in another. But that being said, I hate dickbags. So we get to the 15 tee box and dooshbag's buddy tee offs. I say something to the affect of "hey guys, this isn't your hole, we're gonna play on through" and dooshbag starts mouthing off. Now we realize he might be a little drunk. He runs up in front of me hits one at a direct 90 degree angle to the right the runs over to his cart and jumps in it. My buddy and I go ahead and tee off too, thinking we are still going pass these guys. They drive around and pick up every ball and drop them back down and then go to the friends ball. At this point, another cart drives over to us, with a husband and wife in it, and they start apologizing for these two guys. I ask if they are with them and they say no, only paired up with them and that the entire day has been a nightmare playing with these two guys. We ask them to just join us for the last holes and figure we'll let dooshbag and friend finish by themselves. Dooshbag and friend, now refuse to hit their ball as we are all standing there telling them go and finish so we can play. Now we're getting pissed. We finally convince them to hit and they get off the green, so the four of us finish the hole. When we get to 16, dooshbag and friend are sitting on the tee box waiting for us. My friend and I decide we've had enough, walk past them, tell them we are playing through and to get the eff outta the way. Dooshbag comes over and apologizes for being an ass and can barely stand up. We tell him fine, now get out of the way. We tee off. Then dooshbag and friend decide they are gonna tee off too. Once again, we make it very clear that we are finishing this by ourselves and to stay put. They get the point this time and stay back while we finish the round. So, we finish, drop bags off at two different cars, change shoes, etc...drop the cart off, grab a couple of beers and head to the patio overlooking #18 to relax and hang out. 10 minutes AFTER we have sat down, the husband and wife pull up and say "we finally finished!". I don't know how in the world it took them that long to finish behind us, but whatever. Another few minutes after that, dooshabg and friend pull up and dooshbag wants to apologize and talk some more. He asks if he can sit with us and tell him hell no, so he sits at a table next to us and tries to hold a conversation. Again with the apologizing and then he says he doesn't even remember what he said and wants us to tell him what he was saying to us. I told him no one remembers but that he was a complete dick and needs to leave us alone. He finally left. 30 minutes later, we see him on the driving range trying to hit balls. He was hitting multiple balls at once, he hit the bucket once and knocked stuff everywhere, he kept falling down, it was pretty funny actually. Then we left. Who knows what happened to him after that.

So there's the story. Best round of my life, but could've been better. Good times!

Sure thing...

[snip, long story, but funny!]

So there's the story. Best round of my life, but could've been better. Good times!

Golden. I'll bet it was a hoot at the end watching doosh on the driving range. I'm a drinker, but I rarely drink while golfing. Game's already bad enough. I make up for it on the 19 though.

Golden. I'll bet it was a hoot at the end watching doosh on the driving range. I'm a drinker, but I rarely drink while golfing. Game's already bad enough. I make up for it on the 19 though.
right.
It was funny. I rarely drink while playing either. Reserve that for tournaments mostly.

LOL... Great story!
I'll have a couple from the beer cart, but these guys were outta control!
thanks. The really sad part is that doosh’s friend was good. Really good. He obviously wasnt drinking or at least not heavily. I was kinda shocked that he would play golf with doosh. Im all for bringing new people to the game, but you are responsible for your guests.

Fell apart on the back but still ended with a 99.

changed my game.

Man awesome news. Clearly you are figuring out where you are dropping strokes and doing better in those areas. I suspect simple short game errors like silly three putts and the sort. Those are respectable scores. I highlighted a few ideas above to consider. Tigers dad would throw s..t at him on the practice tee. anyone playing slow in front of you is a hack, and any one behind you playing fast is a maniac. My buddy told me once, hey you just spit on me. Holy cow what? You just spit on me! Omg i was horrified. I dont chew much, but i was chomping on redman like i was winston churchill with a cigar that day. I spit on you, omfg i am so sorry.

Well you didn't spit on me, it was during my back swing. Wtf! He has told me he got all messed up one day because the walker we were playing with clubs was jingling. I swear he hears cars a mile away and is bothered. I am sure everyone knows this but ill still say it. To play this game any good you cant be bothered and have to be ready for all this stuff. The mother f'rs playing slow in front, pricks behind playing fast, people talking, road noise, the guy who wants to beat you, the guy who stands behind or over you, etc...in pool people stand over pockets, same can happen in golf. To reach the next level see if manaaging some of this doesnt help.

I offer my sincerest apology for the above advice. That situation would have totally ruined my game :) totally, flat, destroyed it.

Update on me. The four rounds in fl still did me in. 4 weeks now without even hitting a ball. I can hardly walk and pretty much am suffering with back pain. Years of hitting balls on the concrete in my garage with a cheap worn out mats, cold rounds, five hundred ball days, did me in. Man wish i could play. Tempted to. Thanks for uploading the pics. Love to see your guys courses. Really, i do. Going to green river state park this summer and back to that other utah state park with a golf course this summer and really looking forward to it. Also play hiwan in the denver suburb mountains with fil once this summer, i hope. Its a real dandy ill upload some pics.

Haha, got some dooshbag stories too. Anymore i call the clubhouse. People get waaaaay to personal. This one time i was playing twilight by myself. And i play good and fast (by myself of course). This guy is hitting it from one side of the green to the other. Back and forth, getting clubs each time mind you from hia cart. I say, could you pick it up. He responds f you mf i am going to come over there and wrap this putter around your effn neck. I say hey i asked you to pick it up you dont have to threaten to wrap a putter around my neck. He throws his club down and comes at me. In a moment i decide that this is my home golf course i have been playing for 12 years and i love it to much to whoop somebodys butt on it. So i say, if you come over here you are going to have to fight ghandi, because im not fighting you over this s..t here. I should interject that i was colorado hs state wrestling heavyweight champion and an all state football tackle. That said i am not a fighter, but i am not afraid. So he rushes me and i think he realizes two things. I have literally no fear at all of him and am not moving and two, i am a lot bigger standing pissed and upright three feet from him then when he was on the tee. He then commensed to have a nervous break down on my shoulder. Crying and hugging and all.

I call the club house now.

I only have incidents with gators and fox squirrels on the courses around here.

I like to play midday and midweek when the rounds are $10 and I own the place. I hate getting pushed by the group behind me, so I go when the courses are near empty. I don't mind slow play in front. We have a lot of old folks down here and that's just gonna happen. The course is one place where I'm in no hurry at all. When a single player is coming up from behind, I just let him play through. Haha, I had the same single golfer play through me TWICE once... not sure what the heck he was doing, but it happened.

This came up in conversation over the weekend and talking about being a yankee and playing down south: What is alligator etiquette? Anything south of NC and I'm not heading near any kind of water. I remember asking a local in Myrtle Beach if there are gators in the region and if I should be worried. He said no and then we were delayed on the first tee because the local gator Grandma was on the first tee eating a gigantic carp. So then I think it's "let's play a joke on the yankee" and I don't trust anyone.

Everytime I ask a southerner what do I do if I'm confronted by a gator the answer is "don't do it" and I'm like "what if I accidentally do it? what do I do?" the answer always is "don't do it". Do I run as fast as possible, zig/zag climb a tree? I mean there may be alcohol involved here.

I kind of get: stay away from water but what kind of water? I remember one local going bezerk because someone that teamed up with us was wading out into the salt marsh trying to get a ball. Judging by the local freaking out I guess that's a no-no. Then I see locals swimming in local creeks. No thank you. A man's gotta pee too.

All the freshwater down here has gators. I ride my bike during the day hours and I often see several just on the neighborhood ponds nearby. Even the smallest ponds usually have one, and at this time of year there might be two (sexy time for gators right now). If you're down here during the winter, no worries, they don't move much and certainly are not hostile. But in the spring, when they are mating, it's best to give them wide berth. However, it's HIGHLY unlikely that you'd be attacked by a gator in the water - probably better chance of getting sucked out of a Southwest jet. When they are on land, a place where they are more vulnerable, they might become threatened if you get too close.

Courses have them everywhere, but I've never seen one become aggressive. Get near and they just slip back into the water. Here's one of my boys and I at Eagles golf course last April. There were a bunch of balls in the shallow water in there and he wanted to go get them - I talked him out of it :)

Back