Lots of trub after transferring from kettle to primary, re-rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyWrench

Reaction score
After racking from my kettle to my primary, I found I didn't have enough top up water so I had to boil and chill more. While doing so, I had quite a trub layer form, more than I've had before. Now I'm at full 5 gal level in my carboy, but I'm thinking of racking it into another carboy and leave the trub behind.

This has been sitting almost 2 hours now with no yeast yet. Is there any benefit or detriment to racking off the good into another carboy and dumping the trub then add my starter?

PC270105.JPG

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller for christmas last year I just dumped for the majority of my batches.

So just leave it, it will all settle out in the fermenter.

Right on. Thanks!

My funnel has a mesh strainer in it, just not so fine. Catches most of the hop material, the break must be finer yet.

I'll just pitch my starter and get her going.

Thanks,
Steve

I use a hop stopper and a cfc. All the hops stay behind but the cold break forms in the primary. For cleaner styles (kolsch, pilsner, etc) I'll rack off the cold break after 2-4 hours into the real primary before oxygenating and pitching. I'll also do this for a beer I will re-use the yeast on.

I can vouch for the fact that minimizing the trub and hop material that makes it in will make a cleaner beer... I made ten gallons of cream ale in two carboys. One carboy got perfectly clean wort, the other got some perfectly clean wort and some trub/hops. Here are my findings:

- The "dirty" wort fermented slightly faster, but both reached the same FG.
- The clean wort was crystal clear from day one, but the dirty has a very very slight haze to it that has not dropped after 1 month in a keg at 42 deg.
- The dirty wort just didn't taste as clean... a bit more harsh hop flavor and something that seems like very slight diacetyl.

Hopefully this helps you decide if it's worth the effort!

Back