Lots of particulates in yeast packet and container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balickma

Reaction score
So I made a yeast starter last night using Wyeast 1968 London ESB liquid yeast packet, and when I poured it into the flask I noticed there was a lot of solids at the bottom. The smack pack was pretty much fully inflated so I would assume it is good yeast.

It has been in a flask stirring all night and the particulates are still there. I have included an image of what it looks like when it is stirring here:

n1bKxUS.jpg

Has this happened to anyone else? This is the first time I have seen it where it is not a perfect solution while it is in the flask with a stir bar. Any thoughts?

P.S. The yeast was manufactured on the 7th of February.

I've never used Wyeast 1968, but I think it's basically the same strain as White Labs WLP002, which is really "chunky" like that because it floccs so well. Actually so well that it's good you have a stir plate to keep it in suspension. Everything looks fine, and you should wind up with a nice, clear beer. :mug:

Same thing happened to me with 1968 (super chunky), but I didn't make a starter, didn't hold my ferm temps well and that yeast pooped out before it was done. I think because you made a starter (and assuming you hold your temps) you should be fine.

Back