Lots of honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilihed

Reaction score
I have recently been bequeathed a ton of unfiltered raw Argentinian honey.:ban: Any ideas from the pro mead makers here. I am going to make about 3 batches of 5 gallons each to start. One cyser, one melomel, and one straight meade. Any suggestions for recipes would be graciously appreciated. I am a relative newbie to meade, but made a nice cyser a few years ago with unfiltered fresh cider, cinnamon, and a hint of cloves that turned out fabulous. It finished very dry so I had to back sweeten a touch to make it right. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions, and introducing myself to the board. Did I mention I have a bunch of honey to use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chilihed

Any ideas from the pro mead makers here. I am going to make about 3 batches of 5 gallons each to start. One cyser, one melomel, and one straight meade. Any suggestions for recipes would be graciously appreciated. I am a relative newbie to meade, but made a nice cyser a few years ago with unfiltered fresh cider, cinnamon, and a hint of cloves that turned out fabulous. It finished very dry so I had to back sweeten a touch to make it right. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions, and introducing myself to the board. Did I mention I have a bunch of honey to use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chilihed

If you have your specific batch styles already planned I'd suggest a quick browse through the recipe section on here. There's plenty great ones there. I'd suggest JAOM for your melomel though.

I'd suggest a dry blueberry melomel. But go easy on the blueberries. I'd use ca 800 grams (1 lbs is 450 grams) of frozen blueberries for a 5-5.5 gallon batch. That's the ratio I used for my current bluberry melomel, and with the extremely light colour of my honey - it's turning into a lovely, clear pink. It also tastes amazing. I'm not overly fond of melomels, but that was really epic.

I think too many oversweeten and go overboard with fruit/berry to honey ratio. It turns into more of a berry wine.

Thanks guys. The JAOM doesn't sound like something I would be very fond of, but the dry blueberry sounds pretty good. May have to put that to the test.

Back