Lost pressure over night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdonkeybeer

Reaction score
Hello folks, just a quick question.

I am new to kegging beer and ran into an issue over the weekend. I had everything hooked up and running great for the past week. Everything was holding pressure great. When I unhooked the beer lines to let the system sit for the rest of the week still under pressure (and to finish carbonating the two kegs I have hooked up) I must have smacked a gas line and loosened up a connection. A day later when I checked the system the CO2 tank was empty and nearly all pressure was lost in the kegs. Another day after that I got a replacement tank and re-pressurized the system. Do I have to worry about this effecting the beer? The carbonation will be off until everything reaches its happy place under pressure... but is there a threat of contamination or souring or anything like that?

I poked around the forums but couldn't find anything that directly answered this question. I thank you for your time in advance.

Cheers!

Beer can get sucked up into the gas line and connection. This just happened to me. Theoretically you're blowing that back into your keg if you don't take things apart and clean them up. Now, whether this will hurt the beer... It's probably a source of contamination, but I'd bet you can finish the keg before you would notice a problem.

Like TapeDeck said probably a good idea to check your CO2 line and see if the beer got pushed into the line, also something to consider if that did happen is whether or not it made it into the regulator. If you bought a pre-built kegorator kit it might have a check valve going into the regulator to prevent this.

I bought a kit awhile back from keg connection and I know their kits come with the check valve. The fitting on the lines are also threaded. I was surprised the first time using it that I had CO2 leaks, the fitting weren't tight. Tightenend them down and never had another problem.

I don't think you have a big worry in regards to contamination but cleaning/sanitizing the CO2 line is not going to hurt.

Latest posts

Back