lost my air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptjeff

Reaction score
so i just realized that my air lock dried and was wondering what you guys think are my options
i suspect that its been a few weeks since it has happened.

so i just realized that my air lock dried and was wondering what you guys think are my options
i suspect that its been a few weeks since it has happened.
Fill it back up. What you got to lose?

If there was still active fermentation going on after it dried up, CO2 production may have helped keeping the nasties out.

I'd use Starsan (or plain water) for airlocks. Vodka is overkill while the alcohol, 35-40% (by volume), evaporates much faster than water.

thank you for the suggestions
i've found my notes and the dry lock has probably been open longer than i realized.
should i look for anything, other than mold, that would prevent me from drinking?

Kickass: i would assume your are referring to the airlock, not the mead

should i look for anything, other than mold, that would prevent me from drinking?
I may have oxidized somewhat, or even gone sour if fruit flies (acetobacter carriers) were able to make it inside.
Not sure if it holds true for meads, there's nothing that can grow in fermented beverages that could make you sick. But the taste or aroma could be tainted or even gone putrid.

Waterless Airlock Solution for Long Ferments = take an unused condom, use a pushpin and poke a hole through the package where you think the tip should be, remove from package, unroll a few inches, then stretch over the mouth of your carboy/jug

Latest posts

Back