Lost a batch of Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelflyer2003

Reaction score
I brewed my second 5 gallon batch of Caribou Slobber. My 5th batch of beer. After three weeks of bottle conditioning in an upstairs room, I put two in the refrigerator and the rest in the basement. We had a horrible rainstorm which backed up the sewer at the end of the street. My wife noticed a little bit of moisture around the drain in the basement, and didn't want water trouble. She called the city and within an hour they had a truck at the end of the street. They worked for about a half hour. Not sure what they did down there but raw sewage started filing our basement. We were two inches deep. The Slobber as well as some Guinness Extra Stout, and what was left of the St Paul's Porter and Midwest Irish Stout were sitting in it as well as a lot of personal property. Stanley Steamer came right out and did a great job cleaning up. Now some would say the bottles were sealed and only the bottoms were sitting in stool water, but my health means more to me than some beer. I lost a total of 10 six packs of beer. I had just bottled 48 Big Honkin' Stouts, and put them upstairs to bottle condition, and I am two weeks away from bottling 5 gallons of NB Dry Irish Stout (safe), and I have a kit for NB Irish Red Ale that I will be brewing next week (hopefully). In case you were wondering, the two Caribou Slobbers from the refrigerator were good, but had not matured enough yet.

That sucks.

Sounds like it's time to invest in some shelves to get things up off the floor.

"Now some would say the bottles were sealed and only the bottoms were sitting in stool water, but my health means more to me than some beer."

Yes, I will say that.... If only a couple of inches of the bottoms of the bottles were in the s@!t, I do think you are being hypochondriac. I would have rinsed the bottoms then put them in a bucket with a bleach solution..... If even that.

Unless you lick the bottom of the bottles.....

What a waste.

But to each his own.

"Now some would say the bottles were sealed and only the bottoms were sitting in stool water, but my health means more to me than some beer."

Yes, I will say that.... If only a couple of inches of the bottoms of the bottles were in the s@!t, I do think you are being hypochondriac. I would have rinsed the bottoms then put them in a bucket with a bleach solution..... If even that.

Unless you lick the bottom of the bottles.....

What a waste.

But to each his own.
I do understand where you are coming from. We threw a lot of things out and some were irreplaceable. The beer and bottles were replaceable. I have the put the replacement Guinness Extra Stout on a shelf under my workbench.

I do understand where you are coming from. We threw a lot of things out and some were irreplaceable. The beer and bottles were replaceable. I have the put the replacement Guinness Extra Stout on a shelf under my workbench.

If I had sewage in the basement I am sure there would be a lot of things tossed. The beer wouldn't have been on that list. At least by the description given.

That does suck. I would have been a lot more upset with the irreplaceable items myself. Can always brew more and buy more Guinness. And it wouldn't have even been a thought for me, I wouldn't have kept the beer either. No way, no how, but that's just me.

Having grown up on the farm... I would have washed the bottles in soapy water, rinsed and called it good. We often ate lunch out working on something with manure on our hands...

Having grown up on the farm... I would have washed the bottles in soapy water, rinsed and called it good. We often ate lunch out working on something with manure on our hands...

Yup. Walk up to the hydrant, turn it on, a quick hand rinse, cup those babies and drink. No worries.

Latest posts

Back